Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Prizes for open singles

  • 28-06-2021 3:28pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ plumber77


    Just wondering what would you expect if you won an open singles., paying anywhere from 20/25 euro for entry. Should they be viewed as a chance to play a course at a cheaper green fee or is it reasonable to expect a decent prize for your exploits.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭ callaway92


    Cheaper green fee.
    Was it a qualifier or ‘bigger comp’? Or was it just a weekend comp?

    Qualifier you might get dozen Pro Vs or something or maybe a cheap GPS.

    Weekend comp probably = putter/wedge

    Hence why SOME people don’t go all out for your usual weekly comps.


  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ plumber77


    Paid 25 euro and won 1st prize. Guy rang me to tell me I'd won a polo shirt. Must admit the course is great value at 25 euro and I'd play it again


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭ callaway92


    plumber77 wrote: »
    Paid 25 euro and won 1st prize. Guy rang me to tell me I'd won a polo shirt. Must admit the course is great value at 25 euro and I'd play it again

    Can’t go wrong getting a nice game in and getting a t shirt in return for it.

    Fair play winning on an away course!


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    Have had terrible "prizes" from Opens
    A first and after a lot of chasing I was given a €20 local (to the club, not to me) golf shop voucher two months out of date.
    Another first and I gave up after months of chasing, got nothing
    A runner up, again took months of chasing and finally got a GUI voucher

    Just look on Opens as a way to play away, if you click and do well then enjoy the cut


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭ dan_ep82


    slave1 wrote: »
    Have had terrible "prizes" from Opens
    A first and after a lot of chasing I was given a €20 local (to the club, not to me) golf shop voucher two months out of date.
    Another first and I gave up after months of chasing, got nothing
    A runner up, again took months of chasing and finally got a GUI voucher

    Just look on Opens as a way to play away, if you click and do well then enjoy the cut

    I had similar

    Won one and got a 4 ball voucher mid week off season only, they never even sent it after the hassle to find out what it was.

    Another the entry was 35 and the prize was 40 in the under stocked pro shop that didn't even have a hat

    Obviously enjoyed both rounds but maybe I had too high of expectations for prizes. A polo shirt is decent imo


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ willabur


    came third in an open in enniscrone and they sent me out a voucher for 45 euro, same price as the green fee.

    Delighted with that


  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ plumber77


    Came 5th out there last year and won a visitor prize of 30e voucher. Got myself a scorecard holder from the pro shop. nice little souvenir.


  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ Golfhead65


    A few years back (We 3 person scramble)Entry fee 60 euro, won 1st prize at a Co Meath venue, no name no scandal and after much chasing we got 3 x 20 euro vouchers, Full timesheet from 7am till 5, As coincidence would have it I knew the 3 who were runners up a guest with 2 members and found out that they got 3x ping golf bags.. Happens quite a lot


  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ NotCarrotRidge


    Golfhead65 wrote: »
    A few years back (We 3 person scramble)Entry fee 60 euro, won 1st prize at a Co Meath venue, no name no scandal and after much chasing we got 3 x 20 euro vouchers, Full timesheet from 7am till 5, As coincidence would have it I knew the 3 who were runners up a guest with 2 members and found out that they got 3x ping golf bags.. Happens quite a lot

    Clubs have had to cope with the reverse as well. Our club put up an excellent prize for an open team comp and it was won by four lads from another club who entered an unbelievable score. Very frustrating for the members to see that happen. I'm not for a second suggesting that you did anything dodgy, just that many clubs would have been bitten once or twice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭ callaway92


    Clubs have had to cope with the reverse as well. Our club put up an excellent prize for an open team comp and it was won by four lads from another club who entered an unbelievable score. Very frustrating for the members to see that happen. I'm not for a second suggesting that you did anything dodgy, just that many clubs would have been bitten once or twice.

    Not sure what the problem is there. It was an Open Comp and visitors won it. Actually bizarre behaviour from members being upset about it. The good prize was probably up for grabs due to increased revenue anyway from visitors.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ NotCarrotRidge


    callaway92 wrote: »
    Not sure what the problem is there. It was an Open Comp and visitors won it. Actually bizarre behaviour from members being upset about it. The good prize was probably up for grabs due to increased revenue anyway from visitors.

    It was obvious bandit behaviour. They travelled a long way for it, declared a stellar score and headed off into the sunset. We have a few handy players and they hold their own when we host opens that attract plenty of people. This was a team event where the team marked its own cards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ Ollieboy


    plumber77 wrote: »
    Just wondering what would you expect if you won an open singles., paying anywhere from 20/25 euro for entry. Should they be viewed as a chance to play a course at a cheaper green fee or is it reasonable to expect a decent prize for your exploits.

    You entry to the comp was probably 5 and members pay 5 and the green fee of 20 going to club. depending on the number of entries the prize would be pretty small.

    You can’t expect the 25 to be the comp entry.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭ callaway92


    It was obvious bandit behaviour. They travelled a long way for it, declared a stellar score and headed off into the sunset. We have a few handy players and they hold their own when we host opens that attract plenty of people. This was a team event where the team marked its own cards.

    That’s pure bitter though.

    Fair play to the lads - They saw a competition with a good prize and thought it would be worth having a go.

    They still had to play well I’m sure. The classic bandit accusation can’t be thrown around every single time a team has a great score.

    Team marking their own cards sentence is touching dodgy accusation territory and completely unfair on the winners.

    End of the day, it was an open comp and a visitor won it. Genuinely can’t be complaints.


  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ NotCarrotRidge


    callaway92 wrote: »
    That’s pure bitter though.

    Fair play to the lads - They saw a competition with a good prize and thought it would be worth having a go.

    They still had to play well I’m sure. The classic bandit accusation can’t be thrown around every single time a team has a great score.

    Team marking their own cards sentence is touching dodgy accusation territory and completely unfair on the winners.

    End of the day, it was an open comp and a visitor won it. Genuinely can’t be complaints.

    I'm sticking to my guns on this one! It's the only time I've ever heard any sort of accusation at the club, regardless. It wasn't just the members feeling bitter, the club took it seriously as well and had stewards observing and checking scorecards for the same competition the following year. They're a pragmatic bunch and if they thought it had been won fair and square, there would be no problem.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭ dan_ep82


    With no proof they had no right to do what they did. Why would anyone play their open competitions if they thought they would get ****ed over for playing a good ( even their best) round on the day.


  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ hurleronditch


    I'm sticking to my guns on this one! It's the only time I've ever heard any sort of accusation at the club, regardless. It wasn't just the members feeling bitter, the club took it seriously as well and had stewards observing and checking scorecards for the same competition the following year. They're a pragmatic bunch and if they thought it had been won fair and square, there would be no problem.

    So the only proof anyone has is that the score was very very good? No one saw someone using a foot wedge or marking a 4 when they clearly had a 6?

    To be honest I’d find a club fixing a comp to be almost worse than the cheating in a comp. we all know of tales of bandits and dubious score keeping in team events to win prizes, but that’s an occupational hazard. No one in your club has a screed of evidence that these guys didn’t just have a career day - it can happen, and to my mind it frequently does. If I’m playing with mates and we are all playing well, the standard can be very high. If everyone is hacking all over the place it can drag even the best golfers down.

    I once played a charity team event through work where we had a field day. 3 of our 4 had 38+ points on our own ball and the 4th was off a highish handicap and though he didn’t shoot the lights out still popped in a 4 pointer and at least a couple of 3s if I remember correctly. We won by about 5 points.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    I'm sticking to my guns on this one! It's the only time I've ever heard any sort of accusation at the club, regardless. It wasn't just the members feeling bitter, the club took it seriously as well and had stewards observing and checking scorecards for the same competition the following year. They're a pragmatic bunch and if they thought it had been won fair and square, there would be no problem.

    What was the winning score and what came second? Were they miles ahead of the second place team?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭ finglashoop


    never mind prizes, my own club doesnt advertise when medals are on or what the winner gets for opens / medals.

    one a4 sheet of paper in a hallway and hdid app.

    how are draws handled because every time i see a draw im not sure who should be winning on a card playoff.

    i lost one on a card playoff (whole back 9) and then i see on saturday the 'winner' should have lost based on criteria i lost on.

    mate was deemed to have come third in an away open (should have been second looking at cards in a playoff) a member was put in second spot


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭ Ottoman_1000


    Clubs have had to cope with the reverse as well. Our club put up an excellent prize for an open team comp and it was won by four lads from another club who entered an unbelievable score. Very frustrating for the members to see that happen. I'm not for a second suggesting that you did anything dodgy, just that many clubs would have been bitten once or twice.

    That's quite a strange way of looking at things. Members were upset that a visitor won the their open? Do you have proof that the score was dodgy? this sounds like a very bitter response if you ask me...The ole "sure everyone is a bandit" type attitude seems rife in that club.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ eoghan104


    never mind prizes, my own club doesnt advertise when medals are on or what the winner gets for opens / medals.

    one a4 sheet of paper in a hallway and hdid app.

    how are draws handled because every time i see a draw im not sure who should be winning on a card playoff.

    i lost one on a card playoff (whole back 9) and then i see on saturday the 'winner' should have lost based on criteria i lost on.

    mate was deemed to have come third in an away open (should have been second looking at cards in a playoff) a member was put in second spot
    Its a pretty straight forward back nine comparison. If they have the same back 9 it goes to last 6 then last 3 then last 1.

    What way was it worked out for your friends score? I doubt any club would do it another way to be honest and if they have done so your mate should complain.

    On the subject of prizes I think something half decent should be expected in an open. I came second in the K club last October and got a vokey wedge. €85 entry.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭ finglashoop


    eoghan104 wrote: »
    Its a pretty straight forward back nine comparison. If they have the same back 9 it goes to last 6 then last 3 then last 1.

    What way was it worked out for your friends score? I doubt any club would do it another way to be honest and if they have done so your mate should complain.

    On the subject of prizes I think something half decent should be expected in an open. I came second in the K club last October and got a vokey wedge. €85 entry.

    he had a better front back and overall. his mate he played with queried with the club. explanation was second and third got same prize anyway.

    is the handicap applied when looking at the back 9 card playoff or just the total score?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    he had a better front back and overall. his mate he played with queried with the club. explanation was second and third got same prize anyway.

    is the handicap applied when looking at the back 9 card playoff or just the total score?
    Total score. When ties occur, there's a countback used by the software which is well described above - last nine, last six, last three and then last one. Sometimes the scores are still tied and the software then allows human input to decide the tie. I usually go backwards through the front nine, matching holes until I have a winner. It's a bit arbitrary, but you have to decide ties somehow.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭ finglashoop


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Total score. When ties occur, there's a countback used by the software which is well described above - last nine, last six, last three and then last one. Sometimes the scores are still tied and the software then allows human input to decide the tie. I usually go backwards through the front nine, matching holes until I have a winner. It's a bit arbitrary, but you have to decide ties somehow.

    they tied on points.

    is the handicap applied to the card play off or is it strokes?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    they tied on points.

    is the handicap applied to the card play off or is it strokes?
    Countback (card playoff) is just for the purposes of resolving ties in the competition. In Stableford, countback is done on points. So if two guys have 36 points and one has twenty on the back nine, he wins. If they both have 18 on the back nine, then the guy who has more points on the last six wins etc. None of these effect their overall score, so have no effect on handicap calculation.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭ Motivator


    It’s kind of off topic but it’s one of my favourite stories.

    A friend of mine one a highly prestigious club competition as a visitor a few years ago. There was murder in the club over it because members didn’t want it to be open to visitors. He won by a shot from the lady captain’s husband and despite him knowing the pro all his life - they wouldn’t let him take the trophy home. He lives about 15 mins drive from the course and knows a few of the younger members. The club policy was that he couldn’t take the trophy but could get pictures with it any time he liked. Just to annoy the club, he went out there every Wednesday evening after the fourball had finished and the bar would be wedged. He’d bring a different friend every week and they’d go in when the bar was busy and get a picture with the trophy.

    It drove the locals mad. He used to go and post the photo to their Facebook page every week. It was absolutely hilarious, 49 pictures he got with the trophy and they closed the Comp to visitors the following year because of the uproar from the members.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭ IK09


    Our club have a rule where you can place 1st in the Captains Prize and the Presidents Prize but you cannot collect the 1st place prize until you have been a member for 2 years.

    I only just started playing comps and I was kinda pissed about it when I found out I had only been a member for 18 months and couldnt win, then I was talking to a guy who came 2nd to a guy who was playing off 36, was with the club 2 months and was a complete bandit. The Bandit won it took the prize and was never seen in the club again.

    I understood the reasoning behind the rule then, but maybe 2 years is a bit long to have an exemption.


  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ SeeMoreBut


    If clubs don't want visitors to win then don't have an open.

    Simple as.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ eoghan104


    they tied on points.

    is the handicap applied to the card play off or is it strokes?
    Yes handicap is applied on working out the back nine.

    ie in stableford it is based on points, on strokes will be based on nett score each hole.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭ coillcam


    IK09 wrote: »
    Our club have a rule where you can place 1st in the Captains Prize and the Presidents Prize but you cannot collect the 1st place prize until you have been a member for 2 years.

    I only just started playing comps and I was kinda pissed about it when I found out I had only been a member for 18 months and couldnt win, then I was talking to a guy who came 2nd to a guy who was playing off 36, was with the club 2 months and was a complete bandit. The Bandit won it took the prize and was never seen in the club again.

    I understood the reasoning behind the rule then, but maybe 2 years is a bit long to have an exemption.

    A similar rule in my club where full members are the only ones allowed to win main prizes in all majors/medal comps. You can't become a full member until 2nd year. Also a joining fee on top and no voting rights until full membership. I was told by a mate that it's all standard enough stuff in a lot of clubs.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ willabur


    IK09 wrote: »
    Our club have a rule where you can place 1st in the Captains Prize and the Presidents Prize but you cannot collect the 1st place prize until you have been a member for 2 years.

    I only just started playing comps and I was kinda pissed about it when I found out I had only been a member for 18 months and couldnt win, then I was talking to a guy who came 2nd to a guy who was playing off 36, was with the club 2 months and was a complete bandit. The Bandit won it took the prize and was never seen in the club again.

    I understood the reasoning behind the rule then, but maybe 2 years is a bit long to have an exemption.

    I think that rule makes sense, I would also put in another rule of min amount of comps played in a calendar year.


Advertisement