Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two insurance policies for one car?

• 28-06-2021 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to have two insurance policies on one car in Ireland? I know it's certainly possible in the UK but not so sure about here.

Situation is this. Moving to the UK for a couple of years soon but will be travelling back to Ireland frequently where I'll need to use a car. I'd like to keep my full no claims discount for when I come back home so want to try keep a policy in my own name. I won't have anywhere to keep a car of my own when I leave, so it would be ideal if I could insure myself on one of my parents cars so I can use it while I'm home.

Anyone have an experience or insight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Short answer is, No can't be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You need to alternate between having you and one of your parents be the policy holder on their car each year, as NCB lapses after 2 years without having a policy usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

insurance companies will recognise no claims discount from UK if/when you return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

Some companies recognise name driving experience and match it to a new policy. So you could be a named driver and when you get your own car they will give you credit based on your named driving experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Great, thanks for the info. I won't be driving in the UK unfortunately so won't have any NCB from there. Named driver experience will have to do me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement