Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing oil question, mixing oils

• 27-06-2021 9:06pm

Hey,

I have an old beater of a 1.2 litre 2002 VW polo I use as a runaround, I change the oil usually every 8k miles.

It needs to be changed and I have 2 litres left of 5w-30 that I used for its last oil change and I also have a spare 2.5 litres of 10w-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil.

Would it be ok to mix them and do a full oil change, I think 4.5 litres should more than cover it?

Reading online it's says motorcycle oil is basically just more expensive car oil and it should do no harm putting it in a car engine so I suppose the main question is the harm that mixing two different viscosity oils would do?

I know on older cars many people use thicker oil anyway so I would probably end up with an oil that's 7.5w - 35 if I mix them

Obviously I would never do this in a car worth any significant value or a newer car but if I don't use the 10w 40 oil up it will just end up being recycled by the dump so I would prefer to make use of it

Thoughts?

Comments

Doing alot of research online this doesn't seem to matter at all mixing oils and brands ,just scaremongering by oil industry so no reply needed.

IL post a thread if the engine blows up lol

Thanks
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Whocare

Probably make no difference .but if had car with dpf I personally not mix oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Once the oil in in spec you can mix what ever oil you like. The oil bottle should list the standards and just check against your manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Why would you bother, 5 litres of oil is around €25, just buy the correct oil for your car.

Why would you bother, 5 litres of oil is around €25, just buy the correct oil for your car.

Because I have oil lying around and I don't want it to go to waste from an environmental point, nothing to do with cost. It's done now anyway, running a treat.

It is the correct oil, the car can take 5w-30 or 10w-40 , I just combined the two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement