Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi speeds over 500mb possible?

Options
  • 27-06-2021 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have nest wifi and can get about 500mb on Speedtest to my phone iPhone 12 Pro max. I’m testing virgin 1gb and I can still only get 500mb over wifi. Are there other routers out there that would give you closer to 1gb over wifi? I’m getting about 850mb speeds at router wired
    Cheers,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Wifi 6 with the ax standard, you will need to buy an ax router have it wired to your carrier supplied device which you will want to configure it as modem only mode. To get the decent speeds your devices connected need to also support the ax standard.
    802.11ax can deliver a single stream at 3.5Gbps but real world range/speed like all wifi depends on distance, walls etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Other than the obvious academic aspect of it, why is it that you want 850Mb wireless?

Generally speaking there are near zero domestic uses for such speed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

lawred2 wrote: »
    Other than the obvious academic aspect of it, why is it that you want 850Mb wireless?

Generally speaking there are near zero domestic uses for such speed

Purely academic. If I’m topping out at 500mbps wifi then I’m probably as well off sticking with a 500mbps bb plan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Purely academic. If I’m topping out at 500mbps wifi then I’m probably as well off sticking with a 500mbps bb plan

I get you. Is there much difference in price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

lawred2 wrote: »
    I get you. Is there much difference in price?

14 euro a month

• Advertisement
Advertisement