Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Means test

• 27-06-2021 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can anyone tell me how much might come off my jsa as my wife just started a 30 hour a week job and I was getting adult dependant and child dependant and I can’t hand in her first payslip until she has a day off so won’t know if it’s even worth her working

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Can anyone tell me how much might come off my jsa as my wife just started a 30 hour a week job and I was getting adult dependant and child dependant and I can’t hand in her first payslip until she has a day off so won’t know if it’s even worth her working

No way of knowing without working from her wage, but once she's not earning much she is also entitled to Working Family Payment, which is a much better option when one member of the family is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    No way of knowing without working from her wage, but once she's not earning much she is also entitled to Working Family Payment, which is a much better option when one member of the family is working.

Why do you say working family payment is a better option? You get paid more altogether by claiming JSA. You will still keep a good chunk of your payment OP. If u want to pm me her hourly rate of pay I’ll do the calculations for you and compare

Marymoore wrote: »
    Why do you say working family payment is a better option? You get paid more altogether by claiming JSA. You will still keep a good chunk of your payment OP. If u want to pm me her hourly rate of pay I’ll do the calculations for you and compare

Because on WFP, the person not working does not have to worry about being forced into activation meetings, schemes or courses that they could be penalised for not attending. This is coming from directly personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Because on WFP, the person not working does not have to worry about being forced into activation meetings, schemes or courses that they could be penalised for not attending. This is coming from directly personal experience.

Oh in that case you’re probably right. Do they really force you into things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

They do absolutely, whilst I agree in the principle of supports, the current jobs path activation schemes are pretty dreadful, ample threads re Turas Nua and Seetac to be found across boards and Jobspath generally across the net.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

In some cases, it can be very good (depending on the people in SW you are going to be dealing with) but as Dempo1 said, things like Seetec and Turas Nua have almost criminally-bad records among social welfare recipients. My husband had a particularly horrid experience that even involved regional management because they were not happy that he was unwilling to do courses for qualifications he already had.

Generally in a family setting with kids involved, Working Family Payment saves you financially and emotionally. The payment might be less overall than what the non-working parent could claim, but if that person was forced into a scheme or course that resulted in childcare being needed and additional travel expenses being incurred, the JSA might not work out being much more anyway. WFP is also paid into the bank weekly, which means no signing-on (I know that's not relevant right now) and no weekly trips to the Post Office to collect the cash. As well as that, the OP could apply for home carer's tax credit and transfer tax credits to his wife, allowing her to bring home a better wage overall.

Advertisement