Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Washing in a hard water area

Options
  • 27-06-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Good folks of the detailing forum
    I have just purchased A pdpro power washer with a 6.5 Honda engine.
    A mighty machine.

I want to use it for washing cars as well as domestic work.

I live in an area with very hard water, a lot of limescale gets left on things washed from the mains.

Is there any solution to this, any after wash products I can use to aid in drying off the car after washing?
    The washer has a chemical pickup which I intent on using for foam and for etc.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

Big barrel with lid for safety filled from downpipe of gutters on a shed or house.
    Wait for rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Big barrel with lid for safety filled from downpipe of gutters on a shed or house.
    Wait for rain.

Thought of that.
    Would the gutter water be OK to wash with?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thought of that.

If it's like what my rainwater barrel collects, I wouldn't use it as it has quite a bit of grit and silt from the roof and gutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    If it's like what my rainwater barrel collects, I wouldn't use it as it has quite a bit of grit and silt from the roof and gutters.

That's what I was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I also live in a hard water area and I use 2 things:

1 - a DI vessel and Unger resin. The outside tap is connected to one side of the vessel and the pressure washer is connected to the other side. The water flows through the resin inside and it removes all lime and sends out 0ppm water meaning no water marks on the car. This is a good way of doing it but it's not cheap. The resin has to be replaced every 2 weeks depending on how much water goes through it and how hard the water is.

2 - A water butt. I use an extra filter on the pressure washer water inlet and it's always manky afterwards as is the inner filter. Rainwater is great though because it's 0ppm also but it does contain silt and dirt that you don't want going through your pressure washer nor do you want it being blasted at your car.

• Advertisement

Thought of that.
    As long as you are not sucking up grit from the bottom of the barrel or water butt it is the purest water you can reasonably hope for short of distilling it.
    Most of Ireland is limestone so your options are limited. Maybe a stream would be ok but if passing through limestone country it won't be much better than local water supply or your own well.

Advertisement