Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about small table and chair for toddler

• 27-06-2021 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

My 19 month old son is becoming more and more inquisitive and independent by the day. I was thinking of maybe getting a little table and chair for him to sit at and eat his snacks, draw etc. But I'd still like him to sit at the kitchen table with us in his high chair for main meals.

What are peoples experiences of getting a little table and chair for their toddler? Is it worth getting? I'm worried that if I do get one, he'll only want to sit there for his meals and if so, he may not sit and eat for as he usually does in his high chair. At the moment, he's a fantastic eater. He'll literally eat anything I give him and mealtimes are a joy. So I'm reluctant to mess with that. But I read that it's good to give them little furniture at this age. So I'm torn. Advice welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

We found the chairs and tables were carried around to enable access to things at a height. We had to put them away for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

We used an old school desk. Too heavy for the toddler to carry around the house and just the sturdyness for meals/crafts etc. Easy to clean, and is a nice looking piece of furniture. Canbepickedupon donedeal relatively cheaply and varnished/painted to suit your home decor. My son loves his "special big boy table" and never had a problem transitioning from the highchair to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

If you are close to a Supervalue they had a great picnic table.. It is plastic which I try to avoid at best but have to say it is great. You can move it around easily. If you want it outdoors then you do not have to worry about it getting wet, easy to clean.. 50euro comes with a little sun umbrella in all.

We got a little chair for herself when she was about the same age and it was just dangerous at that age, between it falling when she was trying to sit on it.. Grand for now she is nearly 4, but we have a younger chap too going on two and I had to put it away from him. The little picnic bench works great for them, they can sit and have their snacks or use it for art, (easy to wipe down) or jigsaws all that goes..Not far to fall if they do.. For dinner time unless it is a special treat night they still sit at the table, one in highchair and the little miss on the chair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just looked up ours and it's reduced to €24 in argos at the moment...
    552-8336800-CPB128M.jpg
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8336800.htm

Our daughter loved it, and it was great to see her sit at it to colour, play with playdoh, hide under it, climb over it. Had it a couple of years now and still use it. The screws holding the back have come loose so they wobble but are still fine really

You're right to want mealtimes to stay in the high chair though. We didn't, switched to this, and she'd get distracted, walk off, want to play, it was a pain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We just have an Ikea kids table and 2 chairs.
    Never fed them at it though, they all sit at the big table to eat with us as a family.
    I have read that small furniture thing too for meals, but there is an assumption with that that an adult sits down on the floor with them.I'd rather we were all at the kitchen table to dine together.If you get the furniture, you just keep serving food at the kitchen table...it never occurred to ours to eat meals on the smaller table. The small furniture is used by them for colouring and playing.And yes - accessing things at a height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Slightly off topic, but if you wanted a way for him to 'sit in' at the kitchen table with you, rather than being in a high chair (which can be very awkward), then this seat could be a good option.

We've used this instead of a high-chair and find it to be great. With the tray on (when younger), you can't have them pushed in at the table properly, but once older (like our 18mth old now) you can have them sitting in at the table (change the height with the legs at the bottom as needed) and still strapped in.

Advertisement