Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarlet Nexus

Options
  • 27-06-2021 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Anyone buy this? How ye find it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

+1! I'm interested in it, and reviews seem pretty good. Need to trade in Returnal while it's worth a few quid, was thinking of this.

So, I got this. I've played around 3ish hours, and combat for about 15 minutes of that. It's very dialogue heavy so far, and it's not great dialogue. It's typical anime teens talking about life and stuff. I was using the Japanese voices, but they talk while you're in combat so I couldn't read what they were saying. Changed it to the english voices and yeah, it doesn't do anything to make me change my anime to english voices, especially the female lead, she sounds so depressed and uninterested in the few bits I've seen with her (I picked the dude, who isn't bad but isn't anything special either).

The combat seems ok, but there's been so little of it, it's hard to tell. It's basic anyway, 3 hit combo, power throw something, 3 hit combo, power throw something... and so on. If timed correctly, it does more damage and builds up a max bonus thingy. When you get a party member, they can buff your attacks with an elemental effect and adds fancy moves, but still same button combos. And then you have interactive scenery that you use your powers to throw and then do a follow up attack, ie: the first attack breaks a thing in 2, the second slams them together on the enemy). It looks like there's a lot to the combat, so maybe that will get interesting.

But I'm not finding a want to go back to it. At least, not yet. Could just be me in a funk, but it's not holding my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

So got this on a bit of a whim. Its alright, but thats about it. Combat feels like a poor man's Control, lots of chucking stuff but no where near as satisfying. I think the combat can get fairly in depth when you dig into it, but i just have no interest in delving that far. Not really played much anime games before, but this has really turned me off, the characters come across as very annoying, so whatever story there is I'm skipping over.

Also the double character finish the story twice is actually weighing down my thoughts on this. If I were to carry on, to get the full experience I'd have to slog through the game twice, when its not enjoyable that's just a mighty grind I'm not gonna think about. Nier Automata was simliar, the thoughts of playing that more than once turned me off part way throught the first playthrough when it wasn't grabbing me.

I'll probably give it one more lash over the weekend and if nothing springs out at me trade it in next week. Not necessarly a bad game, just a bit more niche than I thought, and its not my cuppa tea.

Yeah, for the same reason I haven't gone back to it. It's just... meh. With typical anime guff that just doesn't translate well to a game imo.

Advertisement