Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever feel like you can read peoples minds?

Options
  • 26-06-2021 8:30pm

I don't mean very specifically being able to see their thoughts, I mean having a good feel for how or what they're feeling, and inferring the thoughts associated with those feelings?

One of my all time favorite scenes in cinema,

vimeo.com/manage/videos/567917522

"How do you know that....?

When NOBODY can know that much".

Makes me laugh every time.

Ever feel like that, or is it just me?

Comments

Partly reason to question this as, as we know AI facial recognition software is attempting to associate certain facial features in variation with emotional/feeling variation

aitrends.com/emotion-recognition/market-for-emotion-recognition-projected-to-grow-as-some-question-science/

But of course with your "smooth operators" the variation between the nervous system/emotional harmonic and their presenting facial features is evidence enough that visual examination is unreliable more often than not.

Intuitive assessment of nervous system activity = the truth.

Yes. It is just a feeling though because none of us can read minds.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't mean very specifically being able to see their thoughts, I mean having a good feel for how or what they're feeling, and inferring the thoughts associated with those feelings?

How did I know that you were going to post that?

Yes. It is just a feeling though because none of us can read minds.

Well apparently George C Scott can read Paul Newmans mind.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No but I can see dead people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Being able to read people's emotions is a fairly common condition. It's called "Not being a Psychopath"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I can read peoples behinds? When they’re about to erupt; when I should leave….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No but I can see dead people.

I can smell the colour 4 .

touts wrote: »
    Being able to read people's emotions is a fairly common condition. It's called "Not being a Psychopath"

*facepalm*

lol

Acuity in doing so is the object of the exercise my fren.

Joe Rogan did a nice piece on this in the Brian Greene interview (physicist).

Intuitive perception of nerve activity is actually a thing.

Most people suck at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's an interesting question. When you point at something the vast majority of animals will look at your finger while other humans understand you're trying to draw their attention to something, there's an element of mind-reading in the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The killers had a song - can you read my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Impossible, im afraid. The mind is so busy you barely know whats going on yourself. Expecting others to read it accurately is just fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Can Superman read Lois Lane's mind?

"No. I was thinking; will there ever be a boy born, that can swim faster than a shark?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't mean very specifically being able to see their thoughts, I mean having a good feel for how or what they're feeling, and inferring the thoughts associated with those feelings?...

It just means we are all mostly predictable. That you can see it in others, means you do it yourself, that why you recognize it. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

they know that people are either internal dialogue or none at all.if someone answers the door,one person will say mentally "i wonder whos that" and imagine it, the other type wont they will just unlock the door and confront. Our psychology has changed over the last 15 years to be more "telepathic" due to social networks..now that we can see were people tag themselves or if they msg right after you you pre determine whats going on...we developed a "future psychology its called. past psychology would have been waiting for letter or if they didnt over a week.present was ringing a persons home and waiting for the person to pass to someone/answer it..more and more as technology or social media develops we will adapt or minds to knowing more about people,what they think or able to read minds as we develop it out of anxiety and social interactions..covid is a good example as we are all solving the same thing under the same rules so are all more or less on the same time frame.bit of advice tho never say you can hear someones thoughts,pschiatrists call it "psychosis" and you will be medicated and probaly hospitalised , psychologists call it anxiety or internal dialogue from previous past traumas with people

mcdaids69 wrote: »
    they know that people are either internal dialogue or none at all.if someone answers the door,one person will say mentally "i wonder whos that" and imagine it, the other type wont they will just unlock the door and confront. Our psychology has changed over the last 15 years to be more "telepathic" due to social networks..now that we can see were people tag themselves or if they msg right after you you pre determine whats going on...we developed a "future psychology its called. past psychology would have been waiting for letter or if they didnt over a week.present was ringing a persons home and waiting for the person to pass to someone/answer it..more and more as technology or social media develops we will adapt or minds to knowing more about people,what they think or able to read minds as we develop it out of anxiety and social interactions..covid is a good example as we are all solving the same thing under the same rules so are all more or less on the same time frame.bit of advice tho never say you can hear someones thoughts,pschiatrists call it "psychosis" and you will be medicated and probaly hospitalised , psychologists call it anxiety or internal dialogue from previous past traumas with people

Where did you get this information from..... a unicorns ass?

lol, j/k

Interesting points though, alludes to a kind of "self awareness" vs absence of mind ("just answering the door and confronting").

a psychologist is were info came from.all part of mindfullness nowadays to know all these things, psch wards are even changing to incorporate this..in this season of tommy tiernan show a psychiatrist explained that they are changing to mindfullness also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

my eyes.
    the goggles they do nothing.

so with and they then open to and go with inside people know how donkey with seven

a psychologist is were info came from.all part of mindfullness nowadays to know all these things, psch wards are even changing to incorporate this..in this season of tommy tiernan show a psychiatrist explained that they are changing to mindfullness also

Fascinating!

youtu.be/7yBiJ2IKs7s

I had a quick browse, surprised to see he actually had Ian Robertson on.
    He's a smart dude.

They have full free episodes on the RTE player.

rte.ie/player/series/the-tommy-tiernan-show/SI0000001918?epguid=IP000066607
    episode link

Any idea what episode # your reference is?

What else, mindfulness, inner dialogue, keep going - enlighten us further or be more specific.

BTW self dialogue/inner-monologue is an internet hot topic at the moment.

I think in one sense what you said, being influenced by social media - the internet is essentially like humanities own nervous system (actually i'm stealing that analogy from Elon Musk, and I'm sure he stole it from someone else).

But it essentially facilitates improvement in our own self awareness (i.e. integrity of our nervous system), which by default = emotional awareness = awareness of others emotions = greater capacity to infer their thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

touts wrote: »

Actually psycopaths tend to be more capable of reading others emotions than most people - they hone their skills in this ability to a great degree to manipulate and take advantage of other people, particularly vulnerable people. Psychopaths understand emotions, and have emotions themselves, but these are their own emotions for their own circumstances. What they lack is sympathy or empathy for others, who they see more as objects than people.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Zirconia wrote: »
    Actually psycopaths tend to be more capable of reading others emotions than most people - they hone their skills in this ability to a great degree to manipulate and take advantage of other people, particularly vulnerable people. Psychopaths understand emotions, and have emotions themselves, but these are their own emotions for their own circumstances. What they lack is sympathy or empathy for others, who they see more as objects than people.

I wonder is it because they're not distracted by their own emotional filters as they don't have them

Zirconia wrote: »

Interesting take.

Just for scientific clarity in relation to "psychopathy" and "psychosis", there's certainly a distinction between the two but as to psychopathy - there's been this historical interpretation that they're people "without emotions", incapable of feeling etc.

Just for the record that's a myth and physiological impossibility.

"Psychosis" as in, paranoid hallucinations and delusions, is a function of essentially a maladaptive neural process.

But that neural process is a function of "feelings" or "emotions", aka "neural spikes".

So when one becomes "emotionally volatile" it causes their brain to fire in a way that results in "crazy" actions, actions that are unconscionable.

Therefore "psychopathy" is not having "no emotions", it's merely not having adequate command over ones own emotions in times of stress or times that elicit an inflammatory emotional response.

Which for someone who's very unstable, could be every waking moment of every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

I can smell the colour 4 .

I can taste it....you wouldn't like it

Kind of want to keep this conversation going.

The psychiatrist to whom you're referring, I'm pretty sure you're actually referring to research psychologist whose vid I linked, Ian Robertson (through his last season there was no actual psychiatrist interviewed).

They speak about kind of "mindful" techniques where he refers to breathing and thus a form of neural manipulation via CO2.

It's kind of a bummer to think that, as well as the area of emotional regulation is acknowledged, the form of intervention is thus far so weak.

youtube.com/watch?v=mpN3xD_AC1k

Robertson speaks here specifically about another form of "mindful" intervention to cope with "stress".

From Irish times columnist Jennifer O'Connell's mini series, "Stressed".

Again this pertains very specifically to application of a form of inner dialogue re the "mindful" approach.

nope a psychologist taught me most of it thru SHINE,its a mental health group set up as charity by miriam o callaghan..i watched that thinking he was psychiatrist,(hungover on a saturday half asleep)..we chatted also about schizophrenic people having dialogue but not being able to decide which is most interesting i heard,voices can be heard which in psychiatric terms is a form of schizophrenia but if the person is able to tell a right or wrong..(ie girl i like can hear me think she must want me)....if the person is able to say "but she hasnt shown it,and it may cause trouble if i tell her/kiss her etc etc" then they dont have schizophrenia..using internal dialogue at a young age can change alot of thing in peoples lifes as they assume the inner dialouge is telepathic and sound foolish/mad towards parents girls they liked.whats so sad is they dont have vocabulary to explain themselves or the knowledge thats its their self awareness often causing anxiety, depression and some cases a tick,i had sort of tourettes/ tick due to a stressful teenage years and needed to acknowledge the dialogue to help the stress, embaressment of it,a psychiatrist would call it psychosis as well which is sad as many people are put into psch wards due to parents lack of knowledge and public knowledge..what you will notice more and ive noticed alot more college students or adults in 20s have ended up with same tick/toureetes due to the past/present/future pschology, most people call it taking too much drugs but most of people ive seen have been honours level in school and never done drugs good familys etc...

took look at video,and i was taught same but in proverbs.."life is a rollercoaster" is the best one to explain...how does rollercoaster feel? stomach turning fear etc...how does walking into a room full of people feel when u walk in..like a rollercoaster...is it a rollercoaster your on tho??the mind has dark place we put stuff wen we react and kicks in automatic due to the father/mother/brother/sister psychology. freud hated the irish for this reason as your mother tells you "to get out of the f**king house"keep your nose out of my stuff" (lesson learned dont stick your nose in others business as you will get shouted at)they are all part of a paternal pschology which is your first mental lesson.freud didnt understand why we were so cruel to each other but able to be stronger after,think term (what wont kill you will make you stronger)your mother said she would kill you if you did it again so u learned not to.(father makes you take on life,mother helps you in life,brother angers/protects you,,sister watchs )when we face the world from 14-till at least mid 20s its all that jumble and all your own problems socially add to it,which causes depression.this why so many familys are different and raised different...a good example is a well karens daughter/son (karen being the bitchs who complain to manager all time) good parents but rude to everyone,better than everyone and has no remorse for their actions and doesnt understand people.this is because they didnt have any irish pschology as i call it,mammy giving out for walking on wet floors,bringing in wet soccer boots etc..ireland has brillant wording and sayings that all tie back to these and its a shame that people class it as common nowadays and redundant to money and power

Advertisement