Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment

Options
  • 26-06-2021 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anyone have an idea how long the wait is for a claim to be paid after an appeal?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Leonita wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Does anyone have an idea how long the wait is for a claim to be paid after an appeal?
    TIA

What type of payment and has appeal been processed and approved?

For appeals that have been approved, normally a few weeks but will be back dated to date of original application. Some longer term benefits such as disibility are more complex so payment arrangements might include additional allowances so takes a little longer

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

Thanks for the reply. Its invalidity pension. The appeal letter says appeal allowed. The letter arrived during the week but no further instructions on what needs to be done.

Thanks for the reply. Its invalidity pension. The appeal letter says appeal allowed. The letter arrived during the week but no further instructions on what needs to be done.

Congratulations on the award, albeit I appreciate an illness involved, I believe very difficult to get approved.

Do not worry, your over all the hurdles now, it can take up to two weeks for payment to be processed, the team that deal with this are extremely helpful I'm told so do call them if concerned but honestly don't worry too much, it's just a little more complex to finalise etc. Good luck for the future, you'll have some peace of mind :)

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the award, albeit I appreciate an illness involved, I believe very difficult to get approved.

Do not worry, your over all the hurdles now, it can take up to two weeks for payment to be processed, the team that deal with this are extremely helpful I'm told so do call them if concerned but honestly don't worry too much, it's just a little more complex to finalise etc. Good luck for the future, you'll have some peace of mind :)

Yes thankfully all that's over and done with. I genuinely think the appeals office put more time and common sense into dealing with the claims. The original refusal came through surprisingly quickly so then on to the appeals office. You are correct from what I read on here it seems to be one of the more difficult ones to get approved.

It's such a waste of resources refusing an application only for an appeals officer to overturn the decision. Apparently its quite a high percentage! Is it lack of training or what is going on with them?

Yes thankfully all that's over and done with. I genuinely think the appeals office put more time and effort and common sense into dealing with the claims. The original refusal came through surprisingly quickly so then on to the appeals office. You are correct from what I read on here it seems to be one of the more difficult ones to get approved.

It's such a waste of resources refusing an application only for an appeals officer to overturn the decision. Apparently its quite a high percentage! Is it lack of training or what is going on with them?

I think your right albeit due to the nature of the payment and its longtivity they seem to almost try and limit the amount of people awarded it.

I'm about to start the process for applying for disability allowance based on a long term Thyroid illness and more recent Arthritis in my knees, at 53 I never, ever thought Id have to apply but my Thyroid problems going on 4 years and arthritis will be progressive (both linked).

Gosh I filled out less forms for my mortgage, I anticipate a long process ahead.

• Advertisement

I suffered a very bad nervous breakdown and spent a long time in hospital over the course of 3 years.

Based on my experience I applied for invalidity back in early December. Got the disallowance early Jan. I requested a review which did not change anything. Then on to the appeals office. Got the letter from appeals office during the week.
    It looks as if the appeals officer actually sat down and read through all of the medical reports I submitted as she referred to different sections of them in her letter to me.

Best of luck with your application. It is a long winded unnecessary process. Like yourself, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would have to apply for social welfare. But due to not being allowed to go to work the savings were not long running out.

I suffered a very bad nervous breakdown and spent a long time in hospital over the course of 3 years.

Based on my experience I applied for invalidity back in early December. Got the disallowance early Jan. I requested a review which did not change anything. Then on to the appeals office. Got the letter from appeals office during the week.
    It looks as if the appeals officer actually sat down and read through all of the medical reports I submitted as she referred to different sections of them in her letter to me.

Best of luck with your application. It is a long winded unnecessary process. Like yourself, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would have to apply for social welfare. But due to not being allowed to go to work the savings were not long running out.

I wish you well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I recently was approved for invalidity pension. I was on illness benefit but that was coming to an end mid September this year. As you both have said lots of form filling out etc which I understand. I was initially refused using the MR99 form which is a form they use to move you from IB to IP.

I did ring the SW office after being refused and spoke to a lovely lady who said it will be the IP office who will make the decision and there was other payments in the event I did not qualify. Once I completed the IP form along with updated letter from my care team I was approved pretty quickly. I did not apply for living alone allowance etc. I did receive free travel pass automatically .

Like you I have worked all my life and it has been a pretty distressing time not being able to work along with lockdowns etc . Wishing you all the best.

Another quick question! I have started receiving my weekly payments but no sign of the arrears 😪 Does anybody have any idea of how long it takes to get this paid?

Hi,

When you say arrears, where you continuing to recieve IB payments throughout the appeals process, whilst I know there's a difference in the amounts paid for IP, whatever the difference would need to be calculated from the date of application for IP, This might take a separate process but I would certainly call the IP team to ask about possible arrears.

• Advertisement

I can see the arrears due when I login to mywelfare. They said a few weeks ago that it was with the payments team. So I have confirmation of arrears being due. But still no sign of it being paid?

Thanks

Now I understand, yes Arrears generally dealt with as a separate issue and it can take a number of weeks to be processed. There was a time arrears were processed at a time of award and 1st payment but since the pandemic the department seems to have a different approach, so it's just a matter of time, the main thing is arrears confirmed so that's good you don't have to chase them.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I did think they were processed at the same time. Maybe it's something to do with working from home or something. Sounds odd that they have a separate payments team.

It's not a seperate Team as such, at a guess it's more likely spreading out arrears payments, for example those on PUP faced weeks, months of delays with Multi Million arrears refunds being paid out every 2 months. It maybe they have a number of IP recepients arrears and perhaps they'll just clear them in tranches, but again just a guess. The great advantage of having a mywelfare account is seeing what's owed, in years gone by it could take weeks of calls, letters etc to find out about arrears. Your almost there so hopefully life will be a little less stressful in the future.

Advertisement