Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Derby weekend

• 25-06-2021 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Good racing this weekend with a competitive looking Irish Derby tomorrow. I think Mac Swiney is the best horse in the race but looked a non stayer at Epsom.

Strong win bet on Sassified in the last tonight 10/1.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Ger Lyons looks to have a nice one on his hands there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Looked nice but probably not the strongest maiden for the track. Nice debut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Milanative

5.30 Swiss ace 10/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Got a couple of tickets so heading to it tomorrow. Will probably enjoy it a lot more with only 1k of a crowd tbf. No bets of course. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

That railway stakes race looks like it could be cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

One Small Step 16/1 ew in the next at Newmarket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Good racing this weekend with a competitive looking Irish Derby tomorrow. I think Mac Swiney is the best horse in the race but looked a non stayer at Epsom.

Strong win bet on Sassified in the last tonight 10/1.

I had been leaning towards Mac Swiney since Bolger decided to keep him at 12f. He has a 12f pedigree and the genome test proved it so why did he run so poorly at Epsom?

I was considering whether to back an outsider like Mac Swiney or Mojo Star who has risen so far in just 3 runs ( but Hannon and Derbies don't work ) I was also very fond of Lone Eagle and was ready to pick him as my outsider. I popped into the bookies and had a brainfart when I saw how low in the betting Wordsworth was. So I backed that plodder on a stupid hunch that O'Brien has him cherry ripe for today.

Ah well, the bookies need money too :)

Can't see beyond High Definition, assuming he stays out of traffic. Alas, my trust in Ryan Moore is not high enough at that price so I've gone for Van Gogh @10s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Very keen on Rebel Step in the 5.25. Think he has a few pound in hand and could progress into a decent horse for the Slatterys.

The 3.05 is a cracker and looking forward to seeing Castle Star. At the prices though, Twilight Jet is the selection. Far from disgraced at Ascot and will hopefully come on for the step up in trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Listening to Brian Gleeson-- he keeps saying it's the DARBY!!!! , like that famous Offaly footballer. What is wrong with him? Or is this the correct description, cos I don't know anybody who says it this way round my way.
    Oh, and I hope McSwiney wins purely to hear Jim Bolger interviewed... preferably not by said Mr Gleeson

Wordsworth @ 11s ,, going ew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Aidan's horses finishing in an absolute heap there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Aidan's horses finishing in an absolute heap there.

So much for Bolger and his Irish horses are being doped spiel. If they were it must have been on sleeping tablets.

In all honesty the race has been a bit of a joke for the last few years with the amount of moderate winners in it. A sort of NH Stallion making race. The winner and 2nd were 7L clear with a full brother to a St Leger Winner in third. A stayers race, O'Brien set it up for the stayers with the strong pace his pacemaker delivered.

Yet again a slightly suspect O'Brien hotpot was made favourite and flopped as these hype horses usually. It will probably be Santa Barbara's turn tomorrow to play the role of dodgy favourite.

Ryan Moore does it again. A remarkable talent for getting himself stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Everyone stand up for the National Anthem

That was a joke

No bet but really feel that it is time that horses are coupled when trainers have multiple runners in a race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Yes the best thing for your wallet and mental health is give up on backing Ryan Moore. I did a few years ago. He puts his mounts in awful positions all the time. In the big races he usually gets beaten either by whatever Frankie is on or by a stablemate. This year it was both simultaneous when Mother Earth and Snowfall bossed him in two classics with Dettori on board.

Having said that, if Santa Barbara couldn't win that Pretty Polly she'll never win a Group 1. It was such a weak field for a G1 that Cayenne Pepper who was another overhyped underachiever ended up at the head of the market. Cayenne beat Thundering Nights easily at the Curragh last year so she is never winning a G1 either.

9 times out of 10 when you head the horse that kicked for home early, the race is yours, especially on a track like that. The fact she couldn't finish it out against a horse that really only had form in G2s and G3s and even then usually only placed in them suggests she just isn't up to that level, at least not yet. She has been very highly tried tho for a horse that won only one maiden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

CH3OH wrote: »
    Everyone stand up for the National Anthem

That was a joke

No bet but really feel that it is time that horses are coupled when trainers have multiple runners in a race

What I do now is just not bet any race where the trainer of the fav has other runners. Especially the O'Brien horses, it just happens far too much. I hear loads of fellas in the bookies complaining about how they have Irish racing ruined but they keep backing the races.

I first noticed this craic in 2017, had Cliffs of Moher in the Derby and got beat by 40/1 Wings of Eagles. It happened a good few more times that year and since then has been happening all the time, and now the sons are training so you have even more O'Brien's to sort through. It's put me right off especially when you have that clown Moore on the first string you can never feel confident backing anything.

The Mullins clan is the same craic on the jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

The Mullins clan is the same craic on the jumps.

Don't agree, Townend rarely gets beaten by another Mullins horse in the big races

Advertisement