Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair colour - don't know what to ask for

Options
  • 25-06-2021 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi!

Over the last two years my grey hairs have been multiplying, at this stage I'm not willing to embrace them 🀣. However, I have never coloured my hair before and haven't got a notion what to ask for in the salon.

I have hazel brown hair and I essentially want to maintain that colour just with greys covered up. Someone mentioned to me before that maybe baby lights might be a good option? but hoping someone here could advise me before I ring a salon and sound completely clueless.

Thanks in advance!

Sara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Baby lights are very fine bleach highlights. Particularly useful in winter to lift the appearance of your colour overall, but they won’t cover your grey hairs. If you just want a low maintenance option, you could have a demi colour applied to cover the grey hairs and give your hair a deeper shine.

Usually, I’d book in for a consultation prior to a colour appointment and make sure they insist on you having a skin patch test done. (A dab of colour product is applied behind the ear and left for 48 hours to ensure you’re not allergic to the product)

A good hairdresser will take time to ask you a few questions about what you’re looking for and will offer some suggestions. You do not need to know exactly what you want beforehand but you do need to think about ongoing maintenance. Once you start colouring your hair, especially the root area, you’ll need to continue colouring it every 6-10 weeks or so, depending on how quickly it grows. A demi colour will gradually wash out and you won’t get an obvious line as your hair grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Definitely book in for a consultation - a good hairdresser will advise you well. Also look a bit online, i often show up with pictures to show what i'm looking for rather than having to verbally describe it!

Advertisement