Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Audi A6

  • 24-06-2021 5:57pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 46 Gjp650


    Hey,
    Have a 2nd baby arriving soon and need to get a bigger car.
    we do a fair bit of travelling to both sets of grandparents who live in opposite ends of the country so need something with a decent boot.
    thinking of an Audi A6 which seems to have a good boot as well as looking nice and being reliable.
    however, a lot of the A6's seem to come with cream leather interiors. are these easy to clean especially with children? i dont mind if has to be valeted once a year but as long as it comes up clean if need be.
    also, there's a mix of manual, semi-automatic and automatic. everyone seems to be going automatic these days - is there a reason why? What's semi-automatic like in terms of reliability?
    Tagged:


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭ Buddy Bubs


    Wouldn't worry about having to buy one with cream interior, the vast majority of them are black. By semi automatic I think you mean there's the option to override the automatic gearbox....there are 3 ways to do this, kickdown accelerator, shift gear lever over into manual and also the steering wheel paddles....I have these but leave it in automatic all the time apart from the odd messing around with it.

    I'd suggest looking for an avant if you don't mind the estate body style, you've a seriously practical load lugger then.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭ Truckermal


    What year are you thinking about as I've seen few with cream leather?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭ User1998


    Any colour leather is very easy to clean, its cream cloth seats that are hard to clean


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,139 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    Where are all these A6s with cream leather, most I have seen have the grey or black interiors? Cream is fairly rare in them unless your looking at a fairly old model. S-tronic gearbox is superior to the multitronic and manual every day too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭ AMKC


    I would suggest saving yourself a small fortune coming up the years and getting yourself a Skoda Superb instead. Audi's are overrated. You are just paying for the badge when you buy an Audi.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭ Signore Fancy Pants


    AMKC wrote: »
    I would suggest saving yourself a small fortune coming up the tears and getting yourself a Skoda Superb instead. Audi's are overrated. You are just paying for the badge when you buy an Audi.

    Jaysis I'm on my 4th Audi in 14 years, never had any major issues with them, in my experience they are a good car. It's all subjective though, I wouldn't personally class them as overrated.

    Never had a Skoda though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭ AMKC


    Jaysis I'm on my 4th Audi in 14 years, never had any major issues with them, in my experience they are a good car. It's all subjective though, I wouldn't personally class them as overrated.

    Never had a Skoda though.

    I never said they had major issues or that they were unreliable I just said they would get better value for there money buying a Skoda and in fact the Skoda will actually be more reliable than the Audi.


  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ Zylias


    I think if you have a choice of a mid range A6/A4 or a top spec Superb. I'd go for the latter.

    However as someone who's just bought a 13 A4 Avant, the comfort and value for money you get is serious.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,781 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    AMKC wrote: »
    I would suggest saving yourself a small fortune coming up the years and getting yourself a Skoda Superb instead. Audi's are overrated. You are just paying for the badge when you buy an Audi.

    A lot of mechanical stuff is shared between them for sure, but it isn’t a simple case of badge engineering.

    There are differences in terms of construction, design, materials, technology (less and less as time goes on), sound insulation etc that make people spend the extra €20k new instead of a VW or Skoda. As well as the better brand perception.

    If those factors float your boat, then it’s easy to justify an extra €5k on a used one. It isn’t fair to just say an Audi is a Skoda for snobs.

    That said, for a lot of people, a well specced Superb will give them everything they need. It doesn’t make them cleverer than the schmuks that fork out extra though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭ Moanin


    Gjp650 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Have a 2nd baby arriving soon and need to get a bigger car.
    we do a fair bit of travelling to both sets of grandparents who live in opposite ends of the country so need something with a decent boot.
    thinking of an Audi A6 which seems to have a good boot as well as looking nice and being reliable.
    however, a lot of the A6's seem to come with cream leather interiors. are these easy to clean especially with children? i dont mind if has to be valeted once a year but as long as it comes up clean if need be.
    also, there's a mix of manual, semi-automatic and automatic. everyone seems to be going automatic these days - is there a reason why? What's semi-automatic like in terms of reliability?

    I have the B7 shape one 2011 with almost 344k kms on the clock. It's the sline manuall 2.0tdi 177bhp model. For comfort and space you can't go wrong imo.
    It has been reliable with the exception of EGR valve having to be replaced after VW Nox software update abput 5 years ago. This was replaced FOC by Audi.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Gjp650


    bazz26 wrote: »
    Where are all these A6s with cream leather, most I have seen have the grey or black interiors? Cream is fairly rare in them unless your looking at a fairly old model. S-tronic gearbox is superior to the multitronic and manual every day too.


    they are 2016 and 2017 S line models.
    so you think automatic then over manual?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭ Moanin


    Gjp650 wrote: »
    they are 2016 and 2017 S line models.
    so you think automatic then over manual?

    If I were to upgrade to 2016 / 2017 I would go auto.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ B-D-P--


    To be fair a 2018 Superb Sportline has Lane assist, Adaptive Cruise control, Digital dash, Big touch screen and the DSG Gearbox is soooo good.

    an (Early) 2018 a6 Sline doesnt have the same level of tech.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭ Truckermal


    B-D-P-- wrote: »
    To be fair a 2018 Superb Sportline has Lane assist, Adaptive Cruise control, Digital dash, Big touch screen and the DSG Gearbox is soooo good.

    an (Early) 2018 a6 Sline doesnt have the same level of tech.

    Other than the touchscreen my 2016 has all of that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Gjp650


    B-D-P-- wrote: »
    To be fair a 2018 Superb Sportline has Lane assist, Adaptive Cruise control, Digital dash, Big touch screen and the DSG Gearbox is soooo good.

    an (Early) 2018 a6 Sline doesnt have the same level of tech.

    i'll be honest, i'm after the audi name. driven VW previously and never really had a fancy car. i know there may not be a lot of difference in the cars, but would like the audi badge


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭ Stallingrad


    A6 is a fantastic car but a Superb estate is worth real consideration. It's the only car I've ever owned (hatch) that has me questioning why would spend more on something else, or how I would go about replacing it. They are pricey new now, not much daylight between them and more premium brands, but second hand they can be good value. Much more so when you could import them from the UK though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Gjp650


    A6 is a fantastic car but a Superb estate is worth real consideration. It's the only car I've ever owned (hatch) that has me questioning why would spend more on something else, or how I would go about replacing it. They are pricey new now, not much daylight between them and more premium brands, but second hand they can be good value. Much more so when you could import them from the UK though.

    is it still worth importing from GB or NI with the VRT, etc? Am I right that the VRT and NOx cost is combined? Do you have to pay VAT on it also?


  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ Zylias


    Give some more specifics, what is your budget and what year/model are you after? What spec do you need?



    In regards to NI, I don't see there being much value there is plenty to be had down here at reasonably competitive prices however you'll have commenters say otherwise.



    On the supberb comparison, I was in the same boat and went with the Audi because that's what I wanted, previously when buying cars I went for something that someone else talked me into and ended up hating the car.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ BlackEdelweiss


    If buying an Audi are you better going to an Audi dealer /audi.ie. Does this provide any more security than of an independent dealer or does it actually cost more?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭ Truckermal


    I don't think you will save much going the NI route as most of the stuff has poor spec and massive mileage.

    I thought hard about buying a 2017 one last September but looking at prices now they are making more now!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Gjp650


    Truckermal wrote: »
    I don't think you will save much going the NI route as most of the stuff has poor spec and massive mileage.

    I thought hard about buying a 2017 one last September but looking at prices now they are making more now!


    i thought the cars up north were usually better specs.
    i'm just comparing a few down here to usedcarsni, similar specs and mileage and its coming out cheaper up north.
    also, looking new car for the mrs (small car for to/from work) and even with VRT, it's still cheaper up north for similar specs and mileage


Advertisement