Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will issues

Options
  • 23-06-2021 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Neighbour (who is an old woman) has left her house to her grandson instead of her daughter who lives with her and is her carer! Grandson brought his grandmother to solicitor to make the will. Old lady cannot remember which solicitor she went to and doesn't have a copy of her will. Grandson says the daughter (his mother) is included in the will but won't show a copy to either his grandmother or his mother! It all sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    The daughter has asked me what do I think she should do. I "kicked for touch" and said she should seek legal advice!
    But really, what can she do?
    I'd be more worried about the old granny who may have been taken advantage of by grandson! Is there any way she can ascertain what solicitor she made her will with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Tow

If she makes a new will it will supersede the original.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 little bit of help

Definitely get a solicitors opinion asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Particularly if her memory is fading

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Gorteen wrote: »
    Neighbour (who is an old woman) has left her house to her grandson instead of her daughter who lives with her and is her carer! Grandson brought his grandmother to solicitor to make the will. Old lady cannot remember which solicitor she went to and doesn't have a copy of her will. Grandson says the daughter (his mother) is included in the will but won't show a copy to either his grandmother or his mother! It all sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    The daughter has asked me what do I think she should do. I "kicked for touch" and said she should seek legal advice!
    But really, what can she do?
    I'd be more worried about the old granny who may have been taken advantage of by grandson! Is there any way she can ascertain what solicitor she made her will with?

A new will would supersede any previous ones.

However, this poor lady is almost certainly being taken advantage of. It would be wise to get her capacity assessed at the same time.

I've seen this a lot before with people trying to "help" elderly relatives who are no longer able to make these kind of decisions.

Disgusting that he's not even willing to show it to her. It's her will ffs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm trying not to get involved, but it's terrible to see the warped family dynamics. Granny trying to keep everyone happy, daughter and her son (grandson) don't get on so she could be facing homelessness when Granny passes on.... Son probably taking advantage of a situation. Maybe I'm wrong but it all feels wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Gorteen wrote: »
    I'm trying not to get involved, but it's terrible to see the warped family dynamics. Granny trying to keep everyone happy, daughter and her son (grandson) don't get on so she could be facing homelessness when Granny passes on.... Son probably taking advantage of a situation. Maybe I'm wrong but it all feels wrong!

Either tell the daughter to bring the mother to another solicitor or GTFO.

Advertisement