Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance question...

• 23-06-2021 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hope its ok to ask this question here as i dont fancy holding for 30 mins bys ringing the insurancw company!
    I hope to upgrade my car from a 1.6 focus to a 2 litre car.
    I plan to transfer the focus to my wife. Problem is, my son is a learner and on a provisional lisence and named on my insurance. I don't want him on the the policy for my new car and my wife's insurance company quoted an arm and a leg originally to have him on her policy. Is it possible for me to remain the owner of both cars and add the new car to my policy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Have you considered letting your wife take out a policy on the 2lt and putting yourself down as a named driver ?

I only ask because you will only be able to use your no-claims on one car....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭con747

As far as I know you can but you can only use your no claims discount on one car so will be starting from scratch on the new car.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mayodad wrote: »
    Is it possible for me to remain the owner of both cars and add the new car to my policy?

No, you will need a new policy for the new car, you can't have two cars on one policy. And as has been pointed out, this would be a brand new policy with no no-claims discount.

So you need to revisit the option of transferring the Focus to your wife and putting your son on her policy as a named driver. It's almost certain that this will be cheaper than you taking out a new policy on a two litre with no NCD.

I'm assuming that your wife will be getting rid of her existing car so you will end up with the same two policies that you have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sofatin

coylemj wrote: »
    No, you will need a new policy for the new car, you can't have two cars on one policy. And as has been pointed out, this would be a brand new policy with no no-claims discount.

So you need to revisit the option of transferring the Focus to your wife and putting your son on her policy as a named driver. It's almost certain that this will be cheaper than you taking out a new policy on a two litre with no NCD.

I'm assuming that your wife will be getting rid of her existing car so you will end up with the same two policies that you have now.

I agree on this, it's impossible to have 1 policy for 2 car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's no need to transfer either car to the wife, she has an insurable interest as the OPs spouse so can insure any of the cars regardless of who's name it's in.

OP your going to need to sit down and go through all the options for insuring the 3 of you. Go with every combo of your son with each of you in both cars to see what's the total cheapest option, your current insured most likely won't be the cheapest option so you'll need to try brokers and other insurance companies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement