Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors contracted me

Options
  • 23-06-2021 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

So apparently there was a major data breach at a college I attended a few years back.
    A solicitor has emailed me about it asking would I be willing to be a witness. I looked up the solicitors and thry are legit company. I then emailed their info to ask was the email I received a legit one and asking who has given them my email address.
    I've got a missed call and a voice message from the same solicitor.
    I've now emailed to ask who has given him my email address and phone number.
    It's worrying me how they've managed to get my details.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Call their office directly

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Panthro wrote: »
    Hi all,

So apparently there was a major data breach at a college I attended a few years back.
    A solicitor has emailed me about it asking would I be willing to be a witness. I looked up the solicitors and thry are legit company. I then emailed their info to ask was the email I received a legit one and asking who has given them my email address.
    I've got a missed call and a voice message from the same solicitor.
    I've now emailed to ask who has given him my email address and phone number.
    It's worrying me how they've managed to get my details.

Any advice?

Are you saying there was a major data breach at the college and you are potentially a witness or there has been a major data breach because a solicitor presumably representing the college you once attended, the one I also presume you registered in, submitting necessary contact information etc has contacted you without permission?

If the above the situation, I'm not sure were your seeing a data breach here? Obviously data protection rules have tightened over recent years so I guess its down to whether or not you gave consent to the college or its representatives to contact you? Normal practice would be you did by the very act of registering with said institution.

If a solicitor un connected to the college contacted you completely out of the blue, then some answers may be required as to how they got your contact details.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

He's saying there was a data breach at the college. The college kept peoples personal info on an excel sheet. (jaysus!)
    My personal info was on that sheet. That excel sheet somehow got sent around. He wants to know did I receive the spreadsheet from the IT (I don't recall getting it) and if so would I be witness. (I won't seem as I don't remember getting it).
    So I think I've answered my own question. He's got my details as he has a copy of the excel sheet that was sent around.

Anyways thanks for the advice all.

Advertisement