Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shield TV _ New Ads

Options
  • 22-06-2021 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭

So my Shield has the new feature where is has a running banner at the top of the home screen, showing you contextual content...

However, their idea of contextual is just pumping out ads for Apple+... All I see is promotions for content I'm not subscribed to, or encouraging me to rent content from Google Play, which I don't use.

Has anyone successfully turned the function off? How?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bluefoam wrote: »
    So my Shield has the new feature where is has a running banner at the top of the home screen, showing you contextual content...

However, their idea of contextual is just pumping out ads for Apple+... All I see is promotions for content I'm not subscribed to, or encouraging me to rent content from Google Play, which I don't use.

Has anyone successfully turned the function off? How?

You need another launcher I think. Don't know if voice functionality still works with alternative launchers though, I've a feeling they don't. Wolf Launcher is quite good.

Edit: confirmed by user on Reddit that voice search etc still works on Wolf Launcher.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You need another launcher I think. Don't know if voice functionality still works with alternative launchers though, I've a feeling they don't. Wolf Launcher is quite good.

Edit: confirmed by user on Reddit that voice search etc still works on Wolf Launcher.

If you go to apps>all apps>system apps and uninstall Android TV Home, it'll restore the default/previous version (had this new interface come up yesterday myself and similarly not impressed with ads for things I've no interest in and don't subscribe to)

You'll also need to disable auto update of apps in the play store

One of the reasons I bought this device was to have greater control over the interface as I was rapidly sick of Amazon's similar tactic on the firestick

Advertisement