Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easiest method to get Saorview and Freeview

• 22-06-2021 7:45pm

I'm looking to buy a new TV for a room and was wondering if there's one on the market with the ability to tune in the domestic and UK TV channels. I have the aerial setup in place and have a box in another room which can tune in both, but a TV that could do it with no box would be so much more convenient. Does such a thing exist? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I'm looking to buy a new TV for a room and was wondering if there's one on the market with the ability to tune in the domestic and UK TV channels. I have the aerial setup in place and have a box in another room which can tune in both, but a TV that could do it with no box would be so much more convenient. Does such a thing exist? Thanks.

A lot of them can yeah, ask in any TV shop.

I presume your talking about satellite rather than aerial for the UK channels

If your in the lucky situation of living close enough to the UK to get both by aerial then basically all TVs will pick up both UK and Irish.

athlone573 wrote: »
    A lot of them can yeah, ask in any TV shop.

If your in the lucky situation of living close enough to the UK to get both by aerial then basically all TVs will pick up both UK and Irish.

Yeah an aerial on the roof is doing it in the other room via the box. I always thought on most TV's you had to set a region on initial setup which meant one or the other.

Yeah an aerial on the roof is doing it in the other room via the box. I always thought on most TV's you had to set a region on initial setup which meant one or the other.

You might get strange numbers appearing beside the Saorview if you set it to UK but usually you can renumber.

Also the channel guide might be a bit messed up.

But you'll remember quick enough which days Fair City Emmerdale Coronation Street and Eastenders are on

Nice one thanks. I'll go in and have a look so if it's a more common thing than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

but a TV that could do it with no box would be so much more convenient. Does such a thing exist? Thanks.

Sounds like you're looking for a TV with built in Saorview and satellite receivers. Walker TV brand in Powercity and most LG TVs have that.

The Walker menu is probably the easiest to use as it groups all the channels together in one list whereas LG split them into separate lists that you change between, although you can set up a 'favorite' channel list from both.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

Freeview is basically Saorview up north. You probably won't get a signal unless you are close to the border.

Most people down south get UK channels from satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

athlone573 wrote: »

Why do you presume that? He clearly said Freeview. You cannot get Freeview from a satellite as it is a terrestrial service from an aerial.

Buffman wrote: »
    Sounds like you're looking for a TV with built in Saorview and satellite receivers. .

No it does not. He clearly said Saorview and Freeview both of which are received through an aerial, not satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

winston_1 wrote: »
    Why do you presume that? He clearly said Freeview. You cannot get Freeview from a satellite as it is a terrestrial service from an aerial.

I have a combi box. The Irish channels are from the aerial and the UK freeview channels come in via satellite

Sometimes I think that people mix up free view and free sat just to wind people up😅

• Advertisement

winston_1 wrote: »

If you bothered to read the rest of my post I covered the aerial case as well.

There’s no dish on the house at the minute, just an aerial on the roof. The current box is a Walker.

There’s no dish on the house at the minute, just an aerial on the roof. The current box is a Walker.

If its not too heavy try moving the other TV to where the box is, we'd all love to know how you get on

Rket4000 wrote: »
    and the UK freeview channels come in via satellite

NO THEY DON'T. Freeview is a terrestrial service received through an aerial. What you are getting is free to air satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

Do you live in NI or close to the border in order to get Freeview from an aerial?

If not you'll need a satellite dish to get the UK channels over Free-to-air/Freesat

Advertisement