Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AirBnB Planning Permission

• 21-06-2021 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Has anyone on here actually successfully applied for planning permission for an AirBnB (short-term-let) rental unit in a RPZ?

In short, I am considering constructing a self contained unit on my property (which is located in an RPZ) for short-term-letting purposes. The intention is this unit will be built for short term letting or not at all, thus the council will not be reducing the availability of long-term-rental by granting planning permission for this structure. It will never be a long-term rental.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Just a few minutes before I saw your post, as I was thinking about the Air BnB topic but with a slightly different slant i.e. why have relatively very few number of property owners applied.
    I'm guessing there will be a parking issue which most private dwellings, certainly those of recent construction will not have the required number of car spaces. It could be argued that most BnBers are from out of town and don't use private cars - the phenomenon of the morning noise of cases on wheels has been noted. Another issue I think is Fire Safety and the more onerous requirements of the non-domestic TGD B. Finally insurances, P.L. required since its now a business.
    I could be ' 'a mile off' on this, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Indeed it is hard to know what they might pull you up on. As I understand it the reason these planning restrictions were imposed on short term rentals is to alleviate the pressure on the long term rental market. In theory if you can address that concern it should satisfy the planning authorities but I am sure there will be other obstacles to overcome.

I think why so few have applied is a combination of Covid reducing demand for short term rentals and people waiting and seeing how aggressively councils will pursue those with no planning permission.

Advertisement