If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Development behind me adjusting roof flashing, structures without PP.

  • 21-06-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭ Rowley Birkin QC

    Hi all. I live on an old terrace of houses in North Strand. It's two story with a single story flat roof extension out the back.

    There's an L shaped site between me and the parallel street behind. I'm at the "top" of the L as you would draw it. A developer is building 3 houses in there at the moment. I was in my yard today and noticed that the builder has come right up to my rear wall, lifted the flashing at the rear of my kitchen and built a structure that isn't on their planning permission drawings. See attached pictures.

    My neighbor told me he met the foreman of the site after they had bored into his boundary wall, he said they disrupted something on his side so went to meet them, and they were building two sheds for storage that aren't on the planning permission. I've checked the drawings this morning and there's no sign of anything beyond the housing units themselves. I'm a pretty easy going neighbor but I'll probably sell in a few years so I have an eye on any future issues. With that in mind, I'm looking for a little guidance on:
    1. Are these sheds planning exempt?
    2. Will there be any ongoing issue with my flashing being disturbed like this?



  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo

    1. Sheds can be exempt up to 25 Sq. M asking as there is 25 Sq. M of garden space left and some other stipulations including heights etc

    2. Nobody knows based on the pic. I’d be worried about water ingress and also fire spread. They really should have discussed the detail with you before doing it in my opinion.

    Have you any other photos to give some context.

  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭ athlone573

    I would get on to the council ASAP (via a local architect or planning consultant perhaps) , they will send someone out to have a look and call a halt if it's not compliant.