Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re use an old laptop

• 21-06-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I have an old laptop thats been out of action for a few years but I'm trying to get it back up and running. I had taken true harddrive out of it some time ago and uses elsewhere.
    I now have a blank harddrive that I can use in it but have no idea how to get the os onto it. Has anyone any tips on how to do this.
    Thanks

Comments

make sure that you're using an ssd.

a 120gb sata 2.5 inch ssd is only 20 euro and 10 times faster than an old HDD

don't go putting an old spinning hdd into it.

download windows 10 iso from microsoft for free on another laptop and create a windows install usb key (google this . 8gb required min)

set usb to allow bootable in bios if necessary (again google)

it's pretty straightforward but a bit of googling for a guide your part

What he said except of it's old, old then XP or Linux, etc is probable a better bet

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I have an old laptop thats been out of action for a few years but I'm trying to get it back up and running. I had taken true harddrive out of it some time ago and uses elsewhere.
    I now have a blank harddrive that I can use in it but have no idea how to get the os onto it. Has anyone any tips on how to do this.
    Thanks

Insert blank harddrive into laptop and put it back together.

If its not an SSD don't bother your arse in 2021.

Then create a Win10 install USB

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Boot her up with USB in place and away you go

What he said except of it's old, old then XP or Linux, etc is probable a better bet

Don't listen to this utter nonsense.

Windows XP security and patch support ended April 8, 2014. If you want to end up getting hacked/ransomware attacks/personal information stolen by all means go ahead.

As for Linux, if you don't know how to create boot media without asking, debugging drivers, establishing parity of support, and learning a new Operating System on a legacy laptop is going to be so far beyond you its not worth attempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Do yourself a favor, get a new one.

This is cheap as chips:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088WQRFK5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_GWZ0N23WDS2GXMBNPPSV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

What level of resources ( processor, RAM, mass storage ) are needed to support Win 10 for basic applications ?

And....pros and cons of using Win 8.1 rather than 10 ?

( thinking of putting a retired Tosh lappy back to work :o )

0lddog wrote: »
    What level of resources ( processor, RAM, mass storage ) are needed to support Win 10 for basic applications ?

And....pros and cons of using Win 8.1 rather than 10 ?

( thinking of putting a retired Tosh lappy back to work :o )

10 is more optimised. Literally runs on tablets and SoC and compute sticks.

No benefits whatsoever to using Win 8.1

Can go as low as 2gb RAM/1ghz Atom/16gb space for a base install on the 64bit version. Less in fact, but that's about as low as is usable.

Just be aware that Chrome alone will happily use just as much resources as the entire operating system and shouldn't be considered a 'basic application'.

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Don't listen to this utter nonsense.

Windows XP security and patch support ended April 8, 2014. If you want to end up getting hacked/ransomware attacks/personal information stolen by all means go ahead.

As for Linux, if you don't know how to create boot media without asking, debugging drivers, establishing parity of support, and learning a new Operating System on a legacy laptop is going to be so far beyond you its not worth attempting.

Multiple systems still running XP just fine. Not everyone is downloading virus laden software

Multiple systems still running XP just fine. Not everyone is downloading virus laden software

You're not just dangerous, you're arrogant to boot.

Windows XP attack vectors go far beyond downloading and running an infected binary in 2021. But you'd know that if you knew what you were talking about.

Advertisement