Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request medical records from GP - standard form?

Options
  • 21-06-2021 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi, I want to make a request for medical records from my GP.

I'm wondering what the important bits I need to mention are:
    - Info that must be included
    - Mentions of relevant legislation
    - specifically mention GDPR?
    - maybe there's a standard form available?

Just trying to make sure I have all bases covered, thanks.

(ps. is this the best place to have posted this?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You just need to ask for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

How far back can you ask for how long does it take ?

And is this a routine request for a GP to deal with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Terry.. wrote: »
    How far back can you ask for how long does it take ?

And is this a routine request for a GP to deal with ?

Yes it is a routine request. Patients move clinics all the time for a variety of reasons so requests for copies are often received. There is no limit to the time scale, you can have a copy from the day you registered at the clinic. There is no need to site any legislation, requests must be written and most will insist that they are picked up in person, if you are not known to them, some might request a form of ID to ensure you are who you claim to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Thanks for the responses.
    Problem is that you folks are assuming the people who work there are both reasonable and competent, but experience tells otherwise.
    I'm asking here because while this should be a normal request, I've learned from dealing with them before that if you want them to do anything you have to make it easy for them by showing them what the solution looks like and why to do it.

With that in mind, I expect "just asking them" to go nowhere, or get an incomplete response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.
    Problem is that you folks are assuming the people who work there are both reasonable and competent, but experience tells otherwise.
    I'm asking here because while this should be a normal request, I've learned from dealing with them before that if you want them to do anything you have to make it easy for them by showing them what the solution looks like and why to do it.

With that in mind, I expect "just asking them" to go nowhere, or get an incomplete response.

As the owner of a Clinic with GPs, I can assure you there is no ambiguity about a request for medical records. You do not have to make it easy, and “just asking them” is not the required approach. You need to write a formal request as this goes on your patient file and is required authorisation for the copy file to be released. After that, just arrange for pick up. Note, printing computer files is quick, copying a file may not be. Also, if you require copies of film X-rays, this takes time as they have to be sent out to be copied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Dav010 wrote: »
    “just asking them” is not the required approach.

Sorry, you're right. I do understand that request must be made in writing. I mean the difference between writing a letter saying " I would like a copy of all records you have on me, signed tDw6u1bj", versus a request with more specific details.
    Dav010 wrote: »
    As the owner of a Clinic with GPs, I can assure you there is no ambiguity about a request for medical records. You do not have to make it easy
    I have spent countless hours in the past bashing my head off a wall trying to deal with clerical errors from the practice after being issued incorrect scripts, scripts for the wrong number of days, scripts that were repeated from 2 years ago instead of what they should have been...and then having though I had straightened everything out, to pick up a script and find it had all been messed up again.
    Believe me, I need to spell it out.

(ps. all of the above is easier than trying to get them to actually answer the phone or, heaven forbid, respond to an email)

Advertisement