Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree surgeon quote

Options
  • 21-06-2021 8:41am

Hi all,

I need two old stumps removed from the ground and 5 sycamore trees (40 ft) removed. I also need about 10 sycamore trees trimmed from 40 ft to 10 ft. Would a quote of 3,500 euro be average for the cost of such a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

17 trees in total. Chatting to my local guy over the last 12 months makes me think that's not far off the mark.

As always get several quotes and compare like with like. Time, equipment needed etc

17 trees in total. Chatting to my local guy over the last 12 months makes me think that's not far off the mark.

As always get several quotes and compare like with like. Time, equipment needed etc

Thanks for the reply. Would asking for a detailed price breakdown be cheeky?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Often I find tradespeople don't like giving breakdown but that is more for jobs where really it all needs to be done but there is different parts.

But in you case it would be quite reasonable to just do part, you could put it to them that its a bit more than you thought and you might just get some of it done this year if you could get a breakdown to see what you want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sdfsdfdf

We paid €4,500 recently for similar. Excellent highly recommended tree surgeon with full insurance and exemplary attention paid to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Got a row of my neighbours:mad: Cupressus macrocarpa trees trimmed for a grand, that was 10 years back mind

initially quoted 2 grand....and then one saturday morning out of the blue he phoned me and said he'd do it that very day for a grand, although i had to get rid of all the cuttings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

fryup wrote: »
    Got a row of my neighbours:mad: Cupressus macrocarpa trees trimmed for a grand, that was 10 years back mind

initially quoted 2 grand....and then one saturday morning out of the blue he phoned me and said he'd do it that very day for a grand, although i had to get rid of all the cuttings

Offer them back to your neighbour next time....

i would, but he's a hothead with a shotgun

That's 50% reduction, just on a whim! If one is not in a trade, it can be hard for that person to know if a price is fair or not. I'm going in blind with a self-build:eek:.

I'm starting to realize with certain trees that they cost quiet a bit to maintain over the years. We want to remove some sycamores because we'll be back to paying thousands in 5-10 years time to cut them again!

Anyone recommend small tress that one could easily trim without heavy equipment. Maple trees?

i would, but he's a hothead with a shotgun

Best to angle the tress in his direction and hope for another 2014-type storm:D!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyone recommend small tress that one could easily trim without heavy equipment. Maple trees?
    sycamores ARE maples, they're part of the maple family.

• Advertisement

Crikey! How embarrassing. I do not know my trees:eek:. Major research needed for what we'll be planting down the line!

you learn something new everyday as they say

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most deciduous trees aren't suited to trimming unless you want to actually trim them into a hedge. what sort of look are you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The black sheep of the family :)

most deciduous trees aren't suited to trimming unless you want to actually trim them into a hedge. what sort of look are you hoping for?

Honestly, I want something that I can maintain myself. Being hit with paying out a couple of thousand every few years to trim trees can hit the pocket hard. I'd like small, short-growth trees out the back of the house. Maybe 5 or 6 of them in a row. I've seen some houses with small maple trees that do not get the rapid growth spurts offered by the sycamore tree.

The front of the house will probably have a privot hedge as these are small enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'd like small, short-growth trees out the back of the house. Maybe 5 or 6 of them in a row. I've seen some houses with small maple trees that do not get the rapid growth spurts offered by the sycamore tree.

The front of the house will probably have a privot hedge as these are small enough.

I'm no gardener but have four olive trees in my back garden that could be worth considering, quite small and very slow growing, evergreen so maintains foliage year round although they do shed quite a few leaves.
    Also have an acer, not sure of the type, and that's even slower growing so could suit your needs.

Advertisement