Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASD Assessment

Options
  • 20-06-2021 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

My GP has referred my child to the Lucena clinic for an ASD assessment. It's been a few weeks now and I haven't heard anything from them. I'm wondering what is the average cost of a private assessment in the Dublin/Wicklow area? How would I go about making a private appointment, can anyone do this or would I need to ask the GP for another referral? If we get a diagnosis, can we then go into the public system or would we have to stay in the private system?
    Any advice is welcome, I don't have much of a clue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

An ASD assessment is usually multidisciplinary - i.e. psychologist, SLT, OT etc.. This makes getting an ASD diagnosis privately difficult, as its not just one professional you need involved in the process.

I haven't been in the process for a long time, so I cant say what the current wait time is. I reckon that chasing the Lucena clinic will be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

The GP said ASD. When when I looked it up, apparently that term isn't used anymore, and it's ADHD. Would that be multi-disciplinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

ASD = Autism Spectrum Disorder and allot of the older terms like Asperger's ect got merged into it. Are you sure that is what they retired?

ADHD = Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and is no where near ASD diagnosis.

Regardless even if they have changed what they call it, it would still be a multi-disciplinary diagnosis.

You can go the public health system, what you need is the assessment of need. I believe by law they must commence within 3 months of applying for it and they have 3 months to complete after that.

Regardless if you decide to go public or private if you want too avail of any public services or even apply for the likes of the domiciliary careers around or the incapacitated childs tax you will need the public assessment.

We got a private assessment about 3-4 years ago from a private vendor in Kildare and it was around 1K. Unless subsidizing i don't believe you will get it for less than that.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/health_services_for_people_with_disabilities/assessment_of_need_for_people_with_disabilites.html#lbd6fc

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Oh no, I got mixed up. She said ADD!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I am not sure then to be fair, I don't know if ADHD is multidisciplinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

My son went through Lucena in Bray, ADHD diagnosis. He's 16 now and we've seen it all and if you'd like any info or support then feel free to message me :)

His process was a neps evaluation in school in first class (she came twice I think) and a psychological evaluation through lucena. The observation with their peers is important and I'm not sure if the private sector do this but I have friends who went that route so can ask them for you.

Mine was a school referral not a gp one and I believe they can take a while but do chase, especially over the summer.

Advertisement