Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend any decent 3:2 or 16:10 laptops?

• 20-06-2021 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Have been following recent posting re current gen laptops and I see Acer Swift 3 is a hot favourite - Did anyone here actually buy one?

Interested in the build quality, especially how it heats up!
    Number of postings on Acer Community not happy with heat etc, so any information from boardies appreciated.

Now, main reason for posting.
    Looking to upgrade at home, and have decided it wont be a desktop, so a laptop with a bit of grunt and decent screen (14inch) is required, no gaming, maybe multi-boot with linux, and ability to run VM's, so 16GB Ram and 512GB/1TB ssd

Found the following with 3:2 screens:-

https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf313-52-silver
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 processor Quad-core 1.30 GHz
    34.3 cm (13.5") QHD (2256 x 1504) 3:2 IPS
    16 GB, LPDDR4X
    1 TB SSD
    Intel® Iris Plus Graphics shared memory
    1200Euro

https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf313-53-silver-nx-a4kek-004
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 processor Quad-core 2.80 GHz
    34.3 cm (13.5") QHD (2256 x 1504) 3:2 IPS
    16 GB, LPDDR4X
    1 TB SSD
    Intel® Iris Xe Graphics shared memory
    Designed on the Intel® Evo™ platform for an exceptional experience anywhere.
    1300Euro

---

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-MateBook-14-Ultrabook-Fingerprint/dp/B08X181B91/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B08X181B91&qid=1624203476&sr=8-1
    HUAWEI MateBook 14
    14 Inch Laptop with 2K FullView Display
    AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Ultrabook
    16 GB RAM, 512 GB PCIe SSD
    Windows 10 Home
    850UKP

---

Acer might have edge in relation to ports (Thunderbolt 3), and better spec memory (might help integrated GPU better!).
    Matebook a bit old school on the ports, Ram is DDR4 only, but Ryzen CPU is H model, so overall package might be a bit better than Intel. Also read that AMD comes with some control software, but none on Acer.
    Understand, I will have to sort out Win10 Home to Pro upgrade if required.
    Also not too worried about camera and mic - would buy an external one if required.
    All seem to have dark backlight keyboards, so all good.
    Might to able to wrangle some discount on Acers!

Understand that Dell XPS, Apple Macbook's and Microsoft Surface Pro's are the standard with higher quality screens, but outside my budget at the moment.

If you get this far, thanks for reading.
    Would appreciate any comments/recommendations, especially from resident experts.

TIA
    WW

Comments

Amd cpu laptops don't come with thunderbolt currently

get 11th gen intel or amd.

4600h cpu is powerful, even running at 35W in the matebook

swift 3 11th gen ->

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117347197&postcount=19

also there isn't much in the i5 over the i7 in intel mobile cpus. not worth the investment.
    you're talking about 5% difference real-world performance

this model with the 15% unidays or student beans discount (any 2nd or 3rd level email to register on them) so 999 - 15% = 850 euro is the best value

16gb ram

1tb ssd

https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf314-59-silver-nx-a0mek-005

even tho it's a 16:9 ratio

maybe they have the other ratio - you can look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Went out to Harvey Norman yesterday to see if they had any versions of the Acer and Matebook in the showroom.
    Had a D14 and was happy with physical looks, so after seeing the 100UKP price drop on Amazon, I ordered the Matebook 14 16GB+512GB version. The 8GB version was great value (down 20%), but I opted for the 16GB version.

Other half got to see an Acer Swift 3 with 3:2 screen and I think might be hooked - might be paying out again!

@glasso - just to say thanks for all the time and effort you put into this Laptop forum, always worth dropping in here to see what the latest advice is!

WW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I ordered Huawei Matebook 14 also but not the D14 version. It's AMD Ryzen 5 4600H.
    Great advise by glasso.
    Went out to Harvey Norman yesterday to see if they had any versions of the Acer and Matebook in the showroom.
    Had a D14 and was happy with physical looks, so after seeing the 100UKP price drop on Amazon, I ordered the Matebook 14 16GB+512GB version. The 8GB version was great value (down 20%), but I opted for the 16GB version.

Other half got to see an Acer Swift 3 with 3:2 screen and I think might be hooked - might be paying out again!

@glasso - just to say thanks for all the time and effort you put into this Laptop forum, always worth dropping in here to see what the latest advice is!

WW

Advertisement