Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords floor jack problem after repair

Options
  • 20-06-2021 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Does Anyone know about these cheap floor Jacks? The Jack was not Lifting so I replaced the O-ring on the pumping piston.

After I replaced the O-ring the Jack lifted up and down with no load but when I tried to lift the Car it would only go about half way. After that pumping the handle would not lift the jack at all even unloaded.

I tried bleeding it but no joy.There does not seem to be any hydraulic fluid being drawn by the pumping piston.I removed the pumping piston with the O-ring that connects to the handle and there was no fluid present in the cylinder even though the fluid reservoir is full. Lifting the handle does not seem to draw fluid from the main cylinder to the pumping piston, I just feel some suction. If I open the bleed screw with the handle up fluid will flow to the pumping piston as far as the O-ring. Closing the bleed screw then and pushing the handle down will lift the jack slightly but any further pumping of the handle will not lift the jack any further as no more fluid is being drawn by the pumping piston.

I then removed the cylinder the pumping piston fits into, the long threaded part in the pic. Beneath this there is a small ball bearing located in a hole in the jack body which presumably acts as a valve. On top of this sits a thin washer with 2 holes one big one small. Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work to draw fluid from the reservoir to the piston and then from the pumping piston to the ram? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

king2 wrote: »
    Does Anyone know about these cheap floor Jacks? The Jack was not Lifting so I replaced the O-ring on the pumping piston.

After I replaced the O-ring the Jack lifted up and down with no load but when I tried to lift the Car it would only go about half way. After that pumping the handle would not lift the jack at all even unloaded.

I tried bleeding it but no joy.There does not seem to be any hydraulic fluid being drawn by the pumping piston.I removed the pumping piston with the O-ring that connects to the handle and there was no fluid present in the cylinder even though the fluid reservoir is full. Lifting the handle does not seem to draw fluid from the main cylinder to the pumping piston, I just feel some suction. If I open the bleed screw with the handle up fluid will flow to the pumping piston as far as the O-ring. Closing the bleed screw then and pushing the handle down will lift the jack slightly but any further pumping of the handle will not lift the jack any further as no more fluid is being drawn by the pumping piston.

I then removed the cylinder the pumping piston fits into, the long threaded part in the pic. Beneath this there is a small ball bearing located in a hole in the jack body which presumably acts as a valve. On top of this sits a thin washer with 2 holes one big one small. Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work to draw fluid from the reservoir to the piston and then from the pumping piston to the ram? Thanks

Troubleshooting pdf from halfords trolley jack instruction manual. If it's facked completely I have a spare 2 tonne halfords trolley jack you can have it for a tenner if you want, it works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    Troubleshooting pdf from halfords trolley jack instruction manual. If it's facked completely I have a spare 2 tonne halfords trolley jack you can have it for a tenner if you want, it works fine

Thanks very much for the offer. I have another halfords jack also though which is still working. I bought the one which went faulty because its lower, the first one wouldnt go under my current car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There appears to be small hole in the inner part, did you line up that washer with the two holes properly in the hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

I have the the same jack and had the same issue, mine was just low on hydraulic fluid though through leaking over years. Did you check that first before you went replacing pistons etc?

There appears to be small hole in the inner part, did you line up that washer with the two holes properly in the hole?

If you mean the round spot to the left of the middle, no thats not actually a hole. the washer was aligned as shown before disassembly with the large and small holes aligned vertically.

• Advertisement

Goose81 wrote: »
    I have the the same jack and had the same issue, mine was just low on hydraulic fluid though through leaking over years. Did you check that first before you went replacing pistons etc?

Yes I did. These things dont seem to be reparable beyond topping up the fluid, bleeding air and replacing the piston O-ring. Hard to figure out how the check valve works, ie how fluid is drawn up under the pumping piston when the handle is raised and then directed into the main cylinder and ram piston. all that you can see is that small ball bearing in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

There should? be a permanent vent to atmosphere somewhere on the filling side (top) of the oil reservoir, ensure this is clear.

John.G wrote: »
    There should? be a permanent vent to atmosphere somewhere on the filling side (top) of the oil reservoir, ensure this is clear.

Doesn't seem to be one, what should it look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

Don't know where it is, suggest temporarily removing the filling plug and see if it lifts up/down all the way, unloaded.

Advertisement