Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Clocked car?

  • 20-06-2021 8:00am
    #1
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro
    Banned


    Ok my mate is investing in a new car, is buying from a dealer and thought everything was sorted but ran the history checker thing last minute. He asked me but I have no idea on these things. To me it looks dodgy but the website says to check if the car has a service history which he was told it does

    In 05/2017 the last owner bought it and then traded in earlier in year.

    It seems a bit all over the place and I have no idea what INMR stands for.


    19/11/2020 261,907 miles 421,498 km INMR
    04/03/2019 59,668 miles 96,026 km INMR
    18/02/2019 43,776 miles 70,450 km INMR
    15/02/2019 50,214 miles 80,811 km INMR
    03/10/2018 71,013 miles 114,285 km INMR
    24/08/2018 73,047 miles 117,557 km INMR
    17/08/2018 73,047 miles 117,557 km INMR
    01/06/2018 56,575 miles 91,048 km INMR
    03/10/2017 30,455 miles 49,012 km INMR

    I don't want to give incorrect advice.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭ HBC08
    Registered User


    ineedeuro wrote: »
    Ok my mate is investing in a new car, is buying from a dealer and thought everything was sorted but ran the history checker thing last minute. He asked me but I have no idea on these things. To me it looks dodgy but the website says to check if the car has a service history which he was told it does

    In 05/2017 the last owner bought it and then traded in earlier in year.

    It seems a bit all over the place and I have no idea what INMR stands for.


    19/11/2020 261,907 miles 421,498 km INMR
    04/03/2019 59,668 miles 96,026 km INMR
    18/02/2019 43,776 miles 70,450 km INMR
    15/02/2019 50,214 miles 80,811 km INMR
    03/10/2018 71,013 miles 114,285 km INMR
    24/08/2018 73,047 miles 117,557 km INMR
    17/08/2018 73,047 miles 117,557 km INMR
    01/06/2018 56,575 miles 91,048 km INMR
    03/10/2017 30,455 miles 49,012 km INMR

    I don't want to give incorrect advice.

    I don't know what IMRN means either but just looking at the mileage there are obvious discrepancies.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭ HBC08
    Registered User


    What year,make and model?
    I'd be wary of buying any car with nearly half a million km on it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭ LillySV
    Registered User


    What’s “the history checker thing “ you are referring to ?


  • Registered User


    HBC08 wrote: »
    I don't know what IMRN means either but just looking at the mileage there are obvious discrepancies.

    Irish National Mileage Register oddly enough. Yes but no one is going to clock a car by 2000 or even 20000 miles.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,782 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm
    Registered User


    The INMR is flawed and takes its readings from a variety of sources, some of whom don’t bother to record mileage correctly.

    I would suggest that, even if the discrepancies are incorrect, it will always flag down the road.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ Zylias
    Registered User


    Do they have any service history documents and previous NCT odometer readings would most likely be more accurate.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭ Oafley Jones
    Registered User


    colm_mcm wrote: »
    The INMR is flawed and takes its readings from a variety of sources, some of whom don’t bother to record mileage correctly.

    I would suggest that, even if the discrepancies are incorrect, it will always flag down the road.

    Our Kia dealer noticed the reading was off on our last service. Car was bought new from them and only serviced with them. They finally figured out that in the previous service THEY had taken the KM reading as of it were Miles, converted it and entered the higher figure on the system. Coupled with the fact that it barely moved for 9 months, it could have looked suspicious. They’d no idea how they did it.


  • Registered User


    colm_mcm wrote: »
    The INMR is flawed and takes its readings from a variety of sources, some of whom don’t bother to record mileage correctly.

    I would suggest that, even if the discrepancies are incorrect, it will always flag down the road.

    They can "fix" the discrepancies


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭ ForestFire
    Registered User


    If you take the 114km(10/18) and add the next 3 readings it gets you very close to the final reading (11/20).

    Did they enter the difference only for 3 years.

    Is the reading now as per the last reading, i.e. greater than 400k (11/20)?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro
    Banned


    LillySV wrote: »
    What’s “the history checker thing “ you are referring to ?

    I think he said motor check.ie


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro
    Banned


    ForestFire wrote: »
    If you take the 114km(10/18) and add the next 3 readings it gets you very close to the final reading (11/20).

    Did they enter the difference only for 3 years.

    Is the reading now as per the last reading, i.e. greater than 400k (11/20)?

    The current reading is just over 100k km


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭ LillySV
    Registered User


    ineedeuro wrote: »
    I think he said motor check.ie

    The difference between oct 18 and feb 19 could be that initially the mileage was been entered in km and then it changed over to miles from feb 19… can’t see explanation for after that ….but see you say that the mileage is currently 100k which is reasonable difference between feb 19 and now … I’d ignore that mileage checker thing and go with what’s stamped on the book… or maybe enquire with motor check to get their explanation


  • Registered Users Posts: 73,837 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn
    Registered User


    Have a look at the NCT cert, the last 3 recordings at test will be shown, that might help. This should cover circa 6 years depending on age of car.

    In Ireland you have more consumer rights buying a pair of Nike Air Max than a €400k home.



  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro
    Banned


    OK so he has pics of some history but not all. These are receipts in glove box. Doesn't seem to match anything in the report

    05/2021 100599
    12/2020 92103
    08/2020 87089
    09/2019 67235


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,782 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm
    Registered User


    Unless it’s a unique car, I’d just move onto another one.
    You could try and piece it all together but why bother!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro
    Banned


    Just to close this out, more for people like me who searched this forum and didn't really find anything

    He contacted motorcheck.ie who said the reading they had seemed incorrect and ended up they deleted all of them off system. So he contacted the garage who sent pics of the service history which all looks correct with receipts etc

    Will he buy now after all this, I hope so :-)


Advertisement