Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL for online teaching

Options
  • 19-06-2021 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I'm wondering if doing an online TEFL course from somewhere like TEFL Academy of Ireland would be enough to get work teaching online.
    I currently work in retail (been caught in the retail cycle for years tbh) and would like to teach online as an opportunity to earn more and to start moving out of retail.
    I have a degree in English and Irish,and a Research Masters in the use of the Irish language. I'm wondering if these qualifications and an online 120hr TEFL course would be enough to secure online teaching work?
    I totally understand that to teach in person or in Ireland that a CELT or CELTA course is the route to go but unfortunately I can't take the time out to do a full time course.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bubblemassage

Honestly, the money you get from retail will be better than from teaching online. Irish teachers in post primary are in high demand currently. On other forums on boards.ie people were saying that some Irish teachers have been brought into schools without getting their PME first. You could ask around and see if you could get a few hours in a secondary school and try it out. Money and security would be far better. I wasted many years working online, to have no PAYE and no transferrable experience that is recognised in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes that tefl cert would be enough but these markets are saturated with teachers and china is bringing laws to restrict English teaching online which is probably the biggest market.

These companies also favor hiring young blonde female Americans.

I think the online tefl market for income is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Just to add that I did a CELTA course online over 12 weeks. I did 3 short modules during the week and we did our teaching practice online on a Tuesday evening from 6-10pm ish. I was also working while doing it. I agree with what the other posters say though, that the online teaching is saturated for English.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CL17

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    I am mostly looking to do it to pick up some extra income,and I may possibly be moving so was looking for a way to earn some money/have some sort of income if I didn't have a physical job to go to for a while.

Advertisement