Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1 litre carton of generic vegetable soup. Does it exist anywhere?

Options
  • 19-06-2021 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

They have 1 litre cartons of vegetable soup in supermarkets over on the continent. Haven't seen anything like that here.

The vegetable soup here is usually in small lunch size tubs, expensive, gourmet shyte, or full of corn starch / potato starch.

I just want generic basic veggie soup, in a big carton.

Something like this. https://images.app.goo.gl/tWxZACypXcRGev8o8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

They have 1 litre cartons of vegetable soup in supermarkets over on the continent. Haven't seen anything like that here.

The vegetable soup here is usually in small lunch size tubs, expensive, gourmet shyte, or full of corn starch / potato starch.

I just want generic basic veggie soup, in a big carton.

Something like this. https://images.app.goo.gl/tWxZACypXcRGev8o8

Avonmore mixed veg soup in a one litre tetrapak. Never bought it, so can't comment, but it certainly exists.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-soup-avonmore-vegetable-1-kg-/p-1018963001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Speedsie wrote: »
    Avonmore mixed veg soup in a one litre tetrapak. Never bought it, so can't comment, but it certainly exists.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-soup-avonmore-vegetable-1-kg-/p-1018963001

I saw that avonmore stuff but it has spuds in it. I am looking for zero spuds. Like the French one litre soups.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

Unfortunately you'll only find this soup at farmers markets due to the short shelf life. The added poatoes/starch prolong the shelf life.

Have you tried making the siup yourself ? Therefore if you do find an ingredient in your soup you don't like, you've only yourself to blame Jackie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There's not a big demand for it. Fresh soup is less than 10% of soup sales.

In the USA frozen soup is popular and tastes of as good as chilled soups. Surprised it hasn't become a product over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭con747

Aldi do a 1kg soup https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-tomato-basil-soup1kg-1kg-newgrange-fine-foods/5391509240062
    If you want vegetable soup in that size it's there as well but has potato in it. You will be hard pushed to find a vegetable soup with no potato in it. I have never seen one.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ah come on, its soup anyone can make soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Ah come on, its soup anyone can make soup.

We cannot assume anything today.

The OP may have a disability or a phobia we are unaware of preventing them from making said soup!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mod here.

No snarky comments thanks. This is a friendly forum and we'd like to keep it that way. :) All food related queries are welcome.

OP I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in Irish shops, they almost always have spuds in. There are a few French shops around Dublin, if you're based in Dublin you could try them and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

con747 wrote:
    If you want vegetable soup in that size it's there as well but has potato in it. You will be hard pushed to find a vegetable soup with no potato in it. I have never seen one.

Aldi! Cheap as chips and lots of variety. Only spotted the othwr day..

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Darc19 wrote: »
    There's not a big demand for it. Fresh soup is less than 10% of soup sales.

In the USA frozen soup is popular and tastes of as good as chilled soups. Surprised it hasn't become a product over here.

I think it’s because we use packet soup here for sauce bases etc so no need for it. I like the idea of frozen soup. I usually make around three litres and freeze most and never see a degradation in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I saw that avonmore stuff but it has spuds in it. I am looking for zero spuds. Like the French one litre soups.

I've just checked my stock of French 1l soups (of which I always have a few in the camper) - own-brand E.Leclerc, but essentially the same as the one you posted. Regardless of whether they're tomato, mixed veg or anything else, they all have potato in them.

In fact, the one you posted is 11% potato! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Interesting Q OP.
    Also, I wonder where the the dividing line between veg stock and basic veg soup is.
    In Iberia they are into bricks of stock
    caldo-liquido-verduras-hacendado-brick-1-l-pid-6700198.jpg
    Have never tried same, wonder is it a clear veg soup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

0lddog wrote: »
    Interesting Q OP.
    Also, I wonder where the the dividing line between veg stock and basic veg soup is.
    In Iberia they are into bricks of stock
    caldo-liquido-verduras-hacendado-brick-1-l-pid-6700198.jpg
    Have never tried same, wonder is it a clear veg soup ?

Veg soup needs actual veg in it to qualify, imo. Stock is just veg-infused water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I've just checked my stock of French 1l soups (of which I always have a few in the camper) - own-brand E.Leclerc, but essentially the same as the one you posted. Regardless of whether they're tomato, mixed veg or anything else, they all have potato in them.

In fact, the one you posted is 11% potato! ;)

Feck.

I'm was hoping just a bulk veggie soup exists without potatoes. I am trying to replicate Indian restaurant recipes. They use a big vat of cooked & blended onions, carrot, tomato and pepper as a base for their sauces.

Was hoping for a lazy shortcut sans potatoes. i.e. just pour in some veggie soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Feck.

I'm was hoping just a bulk veggie soup exists without potatoes. I am trying to replicate Indian restaurant recipes. They use a big vat of cooked & blended onions, carrot, tomato and pepper as a base for their sauces.

Was hoping for a lazy shortcut sans potatoes. i.e. just pour in some veggie soup.

Could you batch cook a base and freeze the bulk of it?
    Seems the simplest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Feck.

Maybe try the Asian shops?
    they could have this base for sale in some form.
    I'm pretty sure this isn't something you won't find in Irish supermarkets

Feck.

You should look up Curry Addict's recipes here on boards, in particular their "curry base gravy". The base for the curries is all onion and spices, no potato, and you can batch cook it and freeze it as you see fit. I'm sure you could tweak it to your own tastes as you see fit:

Curry base gravy
    200ml Vegetable oil
    2tbs ginger and garlic paste
    7 medium onions
    1tsp salt
    2 medium carrots
    1 green pepper
    2 green chillies
    Water
    2tbs curry masala
    ½ can of plumb tomatoes
    Handful of fresh coriander leaves

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot and add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté for two minutes. Add the onions and salt and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, green pepper and chillies and sauté for a further 10 minutes.
    Add just enough water to the pot to cover the vegetables and bring to the boil. Then add the remaining ingredients and boil for 25 minutes.
    Turn off the heat and blend the contents of the pot, with a hand blender. The consistency should be of a thinish soup. Water can be added to thin the curry base gravy if necessary, i usually do.
    This curry base gravy will keep in the fridge for 3 days, after which, it will lose its flavor. I normally freeze it, in take away cartons. Each carton holds 5 ladles of curry base gravy, with which I can make 2 curries, any time I feel like it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No commercial soup is going to be like a BIR base cause it's really not that interesting to eat on its own. You need to make your own

Advertisement