Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Customs & VAT implications for warranty replacement

  • 18-06-2021 7:57pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭


    Hi,

    Over a year ago I purchased an item from amazon. The manufacturer is US based only. Long story short it developed a fault but the manufacturer has offered to replace it but they have since pulled out of shipping to Europe outside of the UK. He states that I might be liable for duties etc. Is this the case? Is there are any reliefs considering it is a warranty replacement for an already purchased item?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge


    The preferred procedure is:

    * post back the faulty product via An Post and ask for a "Certificate of Posting"

    * The replacement/repair product coming back should be labelled "Replacement Goods", and where possible a copy of the receipt of the original customs duty payment AND the certificate of posting should be included.

    Basically the sender needs to declare it as replacement goods with proof the original had duty paid and item was returned or faulty.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭techdiver


    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    The preferred procedure is:

    * post back the faulty product via An Post and ask for a "Certificate of Posting"

    * The replacement/repair product coming back should be labelled "Replacement Goods", and where possible a copy of the receipt of the original customs duty payment AND the certificate of posting should be included.

    Basically the sender needs to declare it as replacement goods with proof the original had duty paid and item was returned or faulty.

    They don't want the old one back. I'm concerned because the origin of the replacement is different than the original (amazon). I've a feeling I'll get screwed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge


    techdiver wrote: »
    They don't want the old one back. I'm concerned because the origin of the replacement is different than the original (amazon). I've a feeling I'll get screwed.

    In fairness, if the origins are different then duty applies. If it's under warranty then the supplier pays the duty. If not then that's the vagaries of buying from a US seller.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭techdiver


    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    In fairness, if the origins are different then duty applies. If it's under warranty then the supplier pays the duty. If not then that's the vagaries of buying from a US seller.

    Strictly speaking I didn't buy from a US seller. I bought from amazon and paid EU vat on the item which is being replaced. I know it's an edge case now as I'll more than likely have issues. I would argue that since vat is already paid I really shouldn't have to pay again.

    I'll have to wait and see.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge


    techdiver wrote: »
    Strictly speaking I didn't buy from a US seller. I bought from amazon and paid EU vat on the item which is being replaced. I know it's an edge case now as I'll more than likely have issues. I would argue that since vat is already paid I really shouldn't have to pay again.

    I'll have to wait and see.

    The argument doesn't hold. Somewhere along the chain somebody will have to pay duty on a new item into the EU. Did you not deal with the supplier?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19


    techdiver wrote: »
    Strictly speaking I didn't buy from a US seller. I bought from amazon and paid EU vat on the item which is being replaced. I know it's an edge case now as I'll more than likely have issues. I would argue that since vat is already paid I really shouldn't have to pay again.

    I'll have to wait and see.

    There's no such thing as EU vat.
    If you purchased via Amazon USA, then you paid Irish Vat and EU duty (if duty applied)
    If you purchased via Amazon UK, the Irish Vat was included in the price as Amazon are vat registered in Ireland and have always applied Irish vat

    But unless it was "sold by" Amazon, then Amazon were only the facilitator on behalf of the USA company.

    You could ask them to state "Warranty Replacement" and a nominal value on the commercial invoice which has to accompany the item


Advertisement