Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do I get a decent looking token proposal ring?

• 17-06-2021 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey all, not sure where to post this so figured I'd try here.

I'm looking to get a nice looking token ring to propose to my girlfriend (she can pick the actual ring, I'm not putting that pressure on myself).

Any rings I have seen haven't really done it for me. She is not a fan of silver or platinum so it would probably be best if it was gold but I don't want it to look chav-y.

Any ideas and links would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I don't see the need for a token ring. It is chipping into your budget and it loses a bit of that wow factor when you have to say its not the real ring.i have a friend who was proposed to with a fairly sparkly Swarovski ring, and she was disappointed when she realised it wasn't her actual ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd tread carefully with the token ring for the very reason above

For example M&S and other places do 1k approx solitaire rings which tbh look very real. Now to replicate that with a real life diamond could be way above your budget and the real ring will always be a disappointment to the ring you presented her with

I like the FUN token ring e.g. go to Claire's and get a big pink glitzy yoke that is clearly nothing like the real ring you will choose together

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wonderwall123

Thanks for the responses so far.

To be honest it doesn't need to be a diamond ring (or diamond looking) I would prefer it to be a ring she could wear on her other hand and for it not to look like an engagement ring.

That way she will have the memory of the day we got engaged but also an engagement ring that was chosen afterwards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm not sure where all the above is coming from. I was proposed to with a Chupi love heart ring. It doesn't look like a "normal" engagement ring so there was no risk of confusion and it's one I still wear on my right hand every day. Most token ring stories I've heard are along the same lines.

@OP: Chupi might be one to consider, even if just to get ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My OH proposed with a ring from H.Samuels. It wasn't an engagement type ring but one that he knew I'd like as a normal ring. I now wear it on my other hand. It wasn't mad pricey but not cheap looking which is nice. There are some diamonds on it but the main stone is my birth stone which was a nice touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Nugget89

When I was looking for a ring I went into one of the higher end jewellers that I liked and he advised I go to Fields for the token ring and come back to him for the real thing. The one I ended up getting in Fields was nice enough that when I proposed she didn't actually realise it was a token ring until I told her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

All lovely ideas! Me, I think buying another ring (for example for $100 in fields or h samuel) is a waste of money. I'd rather put the $100 towards the real ring!

If you're budget is $2000, you are using 5% of that budget on another ring (if my maths is right???). Seems a bit crazy

How many rings do you need to buy for someone to ask them to marry you?!

Thanks again for all the replies.
    amdublin wrote: »
    All lovely ideas! Me, I think buying another ring (for example for $100 in fields or h samuel) is a waste of money. I'd rather put the $100 towards the real ring!

If you're budget is $2000, you are using 5% of that budget on another ring (if my maths is right???). Seems a bit crazy

How many rings do you need to buy for someone to ask them to marry you?!

The ring I'd purchase for the proposal would be used on her other hand, almost like a dress ring, I suppose. It could possibly be stacked on top of a plain thin band she currently has on that hand.

I'm honestly not too worried about the cost of the proposal ring. If it is €100 or €500 it doesn't really matter as it will be worn again. No doubt a wedding dress will be a considerable expense and will be worn once. I don't think weddings are the time to start thinking money is being spent wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Go onto Amazon, type in diamond ring and sort with price low to high.

You will find a perfectly nice looking glass ring, that looks like an engagement ring for any budget you want....10, 50 100 pounds.

Its cheap, looks reasonable, until she picks her own, and will still last pretty well, as a memory of the day itself.

ForestFire wrote: »
    Go onto Amazon, type in diamond ring and sort with price low to high.

You will find a perfectly nice looking glass ring, that looks like an engagement ring for any budget you want....10, 50 100 pounds.

Its cheap, looks reasonable, until she picks her own, and will still last pretty well, as a memory of the day itself.

Thanks. I'd rather get a ring she will wear again in the future, not one that looks like a fake engagement ring.

I say rather but I've not been able to find anything I like so I may have to knock that on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Have you had a look on Etsy? It's a bit trickier buying rings online, but you'd find lovely ones there that perhaps use her birthstone or might be more to your taste.

Faith wrote: »
    Have you had a look on Etsy? It's a bit trickier buying rings online, but you'd find lovely ones there that perhaps use her birthstone or might be more to your taste.

I had a look last week but not a real in depth one, to be honest. I must have a proper look when I get a chance.

I had looked at a few with her birthstone but couldn't see any I liked. This was probably due to her birthstone being an ugly colour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Would anything on here suit?

https://www.juvidesigns.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I'd make one out of gold foil so that there can be no confusion whatsoever that it is a token ring.

You could make it in front of her just before popping the question.

At the risk of being seen as soppy, I got engaged in October (many man many years ago) and purposely had some tea and brack and just "happened" to have the ring in a piece on my plate and did the deed.

She still has this ring! :D But we went shopping for the real one the next day.

fits wrote: »
    Would anything on here suit?

https://www.juvidesigns.com/

I'll have a look now. Just spent the last 15 minutes looking on Etsy but didn't see anything.
    silver2020 wrote: »
    I'd make one out of gold foil so that there can be no confusion whatsoever that it is a token ring.

You could make it in front of her just before popping the question.

At the risk of being seen as soppy, I got engaged in October (many man many years ago) and purposely had some tea and brack and just "happened" to have the ring in a piece on my plate and did the deed.

She still has this ring! :D But we went shopping for the real one the next day.

I could just not get engaged, it might make my life a bit easier :)

The reason i want it to be a ring that doesn't look like an engagement ring is because I don't want there to be that bit of 'WTF is this?' and also I would like her to be able to wear it as a memory of the day.

I've booked The Shelbourne for a night for the day after I propose so we can stay in Dublin and spend the day looking at rings. I'm not holding out much hope but if she could just buy the first one she sees I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You will get a token ring in any jewellers for €50-100 . Thats the max i would spend, getting the ring size right may be the tricky bit if you dont know it.

We did the token ring and then browsed for a few months before she picked something out. It takes the pressure off everyone and you can make a day out of going looking at rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hey OP I bought a token ring for the proposal from here https://www.fantasyjewelrybox.com/ some years ago and it worked out great. Huge range, cheap , but looked well for purpose and then we went shopping for the real one afterwards.

Everyone was happy and it wasn't a large investment.

You will get a token ring in any jewellers for €50-100 . Thats the max i would spend, getting the ring size right may be the tricky bit if you dont know it.

We did the token ring and then browsed for a few months before she picked something out. It takes the pressure off everyone and you can make a day out of going looking at rings.

I probably should have titled this thread something else instead of token ring as i do want it to be something that won't be confused for an engagement ring.

I've a fair idea of her ring size so I should be fine on that. Famous last words and all

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

It's not exactly a 'token' in price but I always loved the idea of something like this - https://www.chupi.com/products/solid-white-gold-love-heart-ring

It would work especially well if you think that's a brand she'd like for the actual engagement ring, and it's definitely something I would see myself wearing again.

If it's outside your budget (I know it would have been outside any I'd want spent on me!) maybe something like this so it still has lovely meaning behind it. https://uk.pandora.net/en/jewellery/rings/infinity-knot-ring/198898C00.html?cgid=rings#position=top&src=categorySearch&start=11&cgid=rings&productscount=146

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is this some sort of cheapskate engagement ring?

• Advertisement

buffin wrote: »
    It's not exactly a 'token' in price but I always loved the idea of something like this - https://www.chupi.com/products/solid-white-gold-love-heart-ring

It would work especially well if you think that's a brand she'd like for the actual engagement ring, and it's definitely something I would see myself wearing again.

If it's outside your budget (I know it would have been outside any I'd want spent on me!) maybe something like this so it still has lovely meaning behind it. https://uk.pandora.net/en/jewellery/rings/infinity-knot-ring/198898C00.html?cgid=rings#position=top&src=categorySearch&start=11&cgid=rings&productscount=146

This is the ring I was proposed to with. I still love it and wear it on my right hand.

Hi all

Just in case you were wondering (although you most probably weren't) I got this ring to propose to her with.

https://www.chupi.com/products/solid-gold-evil-eye-marquise-emerald-classic-diamond-polished-band-ring

To answer the question about whether this was to be a cheapskate engagement ring. No, the ring is just to propose to her with but I would like her to be able to use it as a piece of jewelry in the future and for it to not look like an engagement ring.

We will go engagement ring shopping after I propose. She can choose the ring she likes and that suits her, I'm not making that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Plumbing counter ask for 3/4 olive. They also come in 1/2, 1 inch. Approx €1 solid brass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi all

Just in case you were wondering (although you most probably weren't) I got this ring to propose to her with.

https://www.chupi.com/products/solid-gold-evil-eye-marquise-emerald-classic-diamond-polished-band-ring

To answer the question about whether this was to be a cheapskate engagement ring. No, the ring is just to propose to her with but I would like her to be able to use it as a piece of jewelry in the future and for it to not look like an engagement ring.

We will go engagement ring shopping after I propose. She can choose the ring she likes and that suits her, I'm not making that decision.

Everyone's different, but thats bizarre amount of money to fire off for a token ring.
    .each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Have you looked at pandora? I have a fab Pandora ring that could never be confused with an engagement ring, but it’s really lovely!

listermint wrote: »
    Everyone's different, but thats bizarre amount of money to fire off for a token ring.
    .each to their own.

I think calling it a token ring in the thread title was a mistake on my behalf. I wanted it to be something that can be worn again to mark the occasion.

Hi all

This is a gorgeous ring and funnily enough the one I wear next to my token ring on my right hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Probably seems a bit silly to some but I proposed to my wife with a ring I carved from Walnut.

She told her friend who recoiled in horror at the idea thinking I was some cheap skate, which to be fair I can be :D Her friends jaw hit the floor when she then told her I proposed to her on a balcony over looking Lac Léman in Montreux followed by a private appointment in Tiffanys. :cool: I know a ring designer so it was purely for entertainment purposes but still tying on rings worth €150k was certainly a novelty.

I think something personal is better than a random ring to be honest.

Advertisement