Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corn spurrey

Options
  • 17-06-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've seeded my lawn and there's what appears to be corn spurrey growing in a lot of the lawn.

This was not there before I dug up the lawn and reseeded.

Has anyone any idea how this can happen or what to do now?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The seeds can lie dormant in the soil for many years and germinate after the soil is disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    The seeds can lie dormant in the soil for many years and germinate after the soil is disturbed.

Thanks Jim that must be what's happened.

What's the best way to deal with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not sure but I'd pull it. Certainly don't let it seed. It is an annual so will die off if not allowed to seed. However leaving it to die naturally may leave a patchy lawn. You could try Weedol lawn weed killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Thanks Jim

I'm at the point now that the lawn has not fully grown but this stuff is sprouting up in various spots quicker than the grass is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

keano25 wrote: »
    Thanks Jim

I'm at the point now that the lawn has not fully grown but this stuff is sprouting up in various spots quicker than the grass is.
    Yeah i wouldnt use lawn weed killer on a freshly seeded or young grass lawn.

Best bet is to weed by hand at this stage if you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement