Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a goner?

Options
  • 16-06-2021 8:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a hydrangea about 2 years ago - probably did everything wrong with it in terms of leaving it in a small pot too long, planting at the wrong time, not feeding it right and probably planting it in the wrong spot.

This is what I have now - I’m wonder if there’s any hope of salvaging it or should I just call it quits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The fat lady has finished her gig :)

Sorry to say that's toast..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How long has it been cut back like that? I reckon there's a bit of life in the stem on the right, and hydrangea are good at resurrecting. I'd leave it for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

The fat lady has finished her gig :)

Sorry to say that's toast..

That's what I feared...
    looksee wrote: »
    How long has it been cut back like that? I reckon there's a bit of life in the stem on the right, and hydrangea are good at resurrecting. I'd leave it for a while.

Maybe since late last year... I thought I saw a few leaves coming up on it earlier this year but it appears not.

Should I cut it back more or leave it as is? And should I move it? The spot it's in now seems to be a bit boggy, which it seems isn't good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

flogen wrote: »
    That's what I feared...

Maybe since late last year... I thought I saw a few leaves coming up on it earlier this year but it appears not.

Should I cut it back more or leave it as is? And should I move it? The spot it's in now seems to be a bit boggy, which it seems isn't good for them.

Looksee is right they can make strong comebacks, but I feel if it was cut last year and thats how its looking now in (mid June) there isn't any hope for it . Best start again im afraid,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

True, if its that long its had its chance, I'll go with RA's assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks all.

I think my fatal mistake was putting it somewhere that I thought would look nice, rather than somewhere that would suit it.

In hindsight the spot it's in gets little to no direct sunlight, even in the height of summer, so it probably never had a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭greasepalm

But green is seen scratch around the stem to be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

flogen wrote: »
    I bought a hydrangea about 2 years ago - probably did everything wrong with it in terms of leaving it in a small pot too long, planting at the wrong time, not feeding it right and probably planting it in the wrong spot.

This is what I have now - I’m wonder if there’s any hope of salvaging it or should I just call it quits?

There seems the tinyest amount of life left, was this taken recently?, I've had my own journeys with Hydrangea, moving them around, getting right location etc but they are incredibly resilient plants, soil type, Sun exposure and water all very important. Infact I thought I'd lost all hope of blooms this year and foliage because of the cold spell in April, May. Leaves had already started to develop but a few cold nights ruined the growth, over the next month, fresh leaves have developed and fingers crossed some flowering this year albeit lateish. So I'd certainly loosen the soil, maybe mix in some compost etc and give it a chance, I doubt you'll see any result this year, but these plants can really surprise.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭phormium

Hydrangeas like a bit of shade, depending on variety of course, the best ones in my garden are the ones in the shade, several get no direct sun at all and they bloom beautifully. They are woodland plants so used to tree shade.

How did it get so small? Did you chop off a lot at some stage?

Advertisement