Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Tv for freeview/Freesat

  • 16-06-2021 7:10pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭


    An elderly neighbour is lookin for a new TV( wants to do away with the combi box).
    Any tv 32" (most suitable) that you can combine both freeview and freesat into the one channel list. I have had a few LGs over the years and they dont allow this. Toshiba seem a total nightmare.
    Basically he would like BBC1 on channel 1
    BBC2 on channel 2,UTV on 3 C4 on 4 RTE1 5 RTE2 6 and so on.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573


    UrbanFret wrote: »
    An elderly neighbour is lookin for a new TV( wants to do away with the combi box).
    Any tv 32" (most suitable) that you can combine both freeview and freesat into the one channel list. I have had a few LGs over the years and they dont allow this. Toshiba seem a total nightmare.
    Basically he would like BBC1 on channel 1
    BBC2 on channel 2,UTV on 3 C4 on 4 RTE1 5 RTE2 6 and so on.

    I think this is the impossible dream (prove me wrong)

    My elderly neighbours have the apple TV box from eir which I think is really easy to use and has everything on one channel list but they are complaining because the channels don't have numbers like they used to.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret


    athlone573 wrote: »
    I think this is the impossible dream (prove me wrong)

    My elderly neighbours have the apple TV box from eir which I think is really easy to use and has everything on one channel list but they are complaining because the channels don't have numbers like they used to.


    I mean with the LG you have to press LIST then the red button, toggle between aerial and satelitte to access the other channel list. This man is 80 he just wont get his head around it.:o


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin


    I mean with the LG you have to press LIST then the red button, toggle between aerial and satelitte to access the other channel list. This man is 80 he just wont get his head around it.:o

    LG Quick Access menu...

    Long press zero to show the settings for quick access.
    Assign BBC1 to 1 (or 2-9), save and then long press the assigned button to get to BBC1 and then short press 1 for RTE1 (assuming terrestrial channels are 1-10 with RTE1 at 1).

    Satellite list shows when BBC1 is selected and terrestrial list shows when RTE1 is selected


  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭decor58


    UrbanFret wrote: »
    An elderly neighbour is lookin for a new TV( wants to do away with the combi box).
    Any tv 32" (most suitable) that you can combine both freeview and freesat into the one channel list. I have had a few LGs over the years and they dont allow this. Toshiba seem a total nightmare.
    Basically he would like BBC1 on channel 1
    BBC2 on channel 2,UTV on 3 C4 on 4 RTE1 5 RTE2 6 and so on.

    On Walker models Saorview and satellite are on one list, separate epgs. Out of the box Saorview channels are from no1, BBC etc from 301 with the RTE radio channels in between, these can be removed. On the smart models, the Walker app allows the channels be renumbered, we have 1-6 Saorview, 7+ BBC, ITV, c4 etc. Walker are made by Vestel,who also make Nordmende and Toshiba.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Widescreen


    Ten Pin wrote: »
    LG Quick Access menu...

    Long press zero to show the settings for quick access.
    Assign BBC1 to 1 (or 2-9), save and then long press the assigned button to get to BBC1 and then short press 1 for RTE1 (assuming terrestrial channels are 1-10 with RTE1 at 1).

    Satellite list shows when BBC1 is selected and terrestrial list shows when RTE1 is selected

    Just regarding the Quick Access menu, does this rely on being connected to internet?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok


    Walker TVs will do exactly what you want as described by previous poster


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭swoofer


    When a combi box is set up properly you can have the channels as you like, then the sequence is turn on TV then turn on combi and tv will be on the combi connection, it grabs the TV channel source automatically. bingo you are in the list of channels. You can set it so 1 is bbc1 2 is rte 1 3 is itv. And so on. I have done it for quite a few people.

    What combi box does he have and does tv have hdmi or scart?

    You can get even slicker by having remote control tv and box but not gone down that route.


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573


    How well do the Walker boxes cope with frequency updates?


  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭decor58


    athlone573 wrote: »
    How well do the Walker boxes cope with frequency updates?

    Channels have to be manually tuned on the Walker tvs and boxes, other than the early WP645ts, the one with Satfree, I think all Walker equipment has to be manually adjusted. Other than the recent ITV ×6 channel changes, it took about 10 mins. The only other retunes I have done in the the last 12- 18 have been The Smithsonian channel and PBS, I think. The main issue I would have is with a 7 day epg, again it is on the 645, pity they couldn't have carried on using that software.


  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl


    Widescreen wrote: »
    Just regarding the Quick Access menu, does this rely on being connected to internet?

    No, you don't need to be connected to internet. I have LG & with the quick access it's really easy to swap from one to the other.

    There is one cable for terrestrial, one for satellite. Tune in, I did use a UK postcode for freesat and had to sort the rte channels in order, delete a few blank ones.

    Set quick access 1 for Rte1, quick access 2 for satellite BBC etc. It's very easy to swap from rte to satellite & visa versa, just hold down button 1 or 2 and you'll have all the channels. As poster above says.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Widescreen


    No, you don't need to be connected to internet. I have LG & with the quick access it's really easy to swap from one to the other.

    There is one cable for terrestrial, one for satellite. Tune in, I did use a UK postcode for freesat and had to sort the rte channels in order, delete a few blank ones.

    Set quick access 1 for Rte1, quick access 2 for satellite BBC etc. It's very easy to swap from rte to satellite & visa versa, just hold down button 1 or 2 and you'll have all the channels. As poster above says.

    Thanks I have a couple of LG's and am using quick access no prob-I wanted to check if it was internet reliant as I am advising someone to buy one who doesn't have the web in the location he would be using the telly and it would be handy to make his viewing experience completely through the tv, with no extra boxes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl


    Widescreen wrote: »
    Thanks I have a couple of LG's and am using quick access no prob-I wanted to check if it was internet reliant as I am advising someone to buy one who doesn't have the web in the location he would be using the telly and it would be handy to make his viewing experience completely through the tv, with no extra boxes.

    My LG is smart but it's never connected to internet so It's definitely not internet reliant. It's very easy for an old person to use, once u show them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande


    My one year old LG smart tv is excellent, has built in saorview and satellite and the wifi signal never cuts off. I highly recommend them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭mackersdublin


    I too would recommend a LG TV if you want a 32" TV for Saorview and Freesat. The Quick Access is great and really quick in changing from RTE to BBC and vice versa. The only small issue is the Irish channels end up in the 800's but can be edited to 1,2, 3 etc which takes a few minutes. You will need an aerial to receive Saorview and a Satellite dish to receive BBC etc.

    The 2019 model is still available - 32 LM 6300 PLA
    And the new 2021 model is - 32 LM 6370 PLA

    Both are Full HD, the BPLA versions are only HD Ready


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret


    swoofer wrote: »
    When a combi box is set up properly you can have the channels as you like, then the sequence is turn on TV then turn on combi and tv will be on the combi connection, it grabs the TV channel source automatically. bingo you are in the list of channels. You can set it so 1 is bbc1 2 is rte 1 3 is itv. And so on. I have done it for quite a few people.

    What combi box does he have and does tv have hdmi or scart?

    You can get even slicker by having remote control tv and box but not gone down that route.


    His existing TV is a samsung, only has a terrestial tuner. He wants a TV with both tuners and the channels all in the one list. I might get a walker for him as described above.
    Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Citizenpain


    UrbanFret wrote: »
    His existing TV is a samsung, only has a terrestial tuner. He wants a TV with both tuners and the channels all in the one list. I might get a walker for him as described above.
    Thanks.

    I have the LG 32LM6300PLA . For €250 it’s excellent


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret


    Bought him the 32" Walker. Does exactly what he was looking for.
    Thanks for all the help.


Advertisement