Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood choice for hot tub.

Options
  • 16-06-2021 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I had originally planned on building a hot tub out of something like Larch or Cedar, but it has turned out to be super expensive.

I've read that those woods are required as they have a high and very hard resin content, which will aid water tightness and prevent rot.

As an alternative, i've been looking at building something out of a lesser wood but then fibreglassing and glazing it to make it water tight.

The idea is that you can then use a cheaper wood. What other kinds of wood do you think I could use.

I have two ideas.

1) Build the actual tub structure out of some kind of ply.. and glass that. Then dress it up on the outside with decorative wood.

2) Instead of the composite approach I could just build the tube structure with a single choice of wood.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Water pumps shafts were traditionally made from elm and alder. So might be an option possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

kadman wrote: »
    Water pumps shafts were traditionally made from elm and alder. So might be an option possibly.

Interesting.. is that easily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Elm is scarce, lots of alder about, but getting it into planks could be difficult, what part of the country are you in OP, are there any sawmills near you, Douglas Fir and Larch would be two more options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

techguy wrote: »
    Interesting.. is that easily available?

Not really. Do you have a planer/thicknesser. ? You will easily find Iroko in the builders suppliers which is pretty waterproof but nasty to work. It gives off a dust - like pepper in the air.A project like this will consume wood and hard to see how it can be done 'on the cheap' :D

Building a hot tub/ fibreglassing all the fitments ect is going to be a serious ly labour intensive task.

I expect it will run to some expense as well. Is a bought hot tub a much more expensive option?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've had the exact same thoughts so I suspect the point of this may be the challenge!

TheChizler wrote: »
    I've had the exact same thoughts so I suspect the point of this may be the challenge!

I can think of less expensive challenges :D

As a project it involves some level of complexity.

First off you would need a fairly well equipped workshop. Some amount of
    machinery. Saws, planers, thicknessers ect. Depending on your choices of materials of course.

Plenty of room. Hand and power tools, as well as consumables. And some understanding of wood characteristics.
    For example some materials fair ok with water, some do not. Elm is ok, any wood containg tannins discolour when
    in contact with water.

And fibreglassing is a whole other process. And you would need to be more than an average d'i'y'er.

Not meant to put the op off by any means, it would be a great thread for woodcraft.
    But I want him to see any pitfalls, and not fall in to them.:)

Post edited by kadman on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Check

this video out OP. Not sure how long it would last with bog standard pine but perhaps you could ask the video creator.

Advertisement