Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

What's your idea of competitive (hourly) pay?

• 16-06-2021 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ Hillybilly4

I went for a job interview today (p/t, home care sector).
    The job description said "competitive pay".

Minimum wage is €10.20. Soooooo...I was expecting a "competitive" hourly rate of...maybe €14 or 15?

(I do appreciate that this is a lowly-paid sector and having been self-employed for more than two decades I may be a wee bit out of touch with reality).

Thankfully I was wearing a face mask and so the interviewers couldn't see my jaw drop when the rate of pay was revealed to be...

€11/hr.

That's "competitive"??? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ Mimon

I went for a job interview today (p/t, home care sector).
    The job description said "competitive pay".

Minimum wage is €10.20. Soooooo...I was expecting a "competitive" hourly rate of...maybe €14 or 15?

(I do appreciate that this is a lowly-paid sector and having been self-employed for more than two decades I may be a wee bit out of touch with reality).

Thankfully I was wearing a face mask and so the interviewers couldn't see my jaw drop when the rate of pay was revealed to be...

€11/hr.

That's "competitive"??? :eek:

Depends on a few factors, part of the country for one or if it was a training wage and you can expect to get regular increases with experience. 11 is pretty Sh!te though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭ Maryanne84

Even shi**ier when you never know what hours you are working.

I wonder how much the clients are charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭ kravmaga

Maryanne84 wrote: »

Probably double or triple the €11 rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ The Mighty Quinn

kravmaga wrote: »
    Probably double or triple the €11 rate

I've seen what I'm charged out at to clients, and it's about 2.5 times what I get paid by my employer per hour. It makes sense... they need to make money from me doing what I do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

Have you got a Level 5 (of above) qual in a relevant discipline?

If so, competitive would be on a par with the HSE starting rate of 13.82 - realistically that's who they are competiting with for staff.

If not then 11 per hour sounds fine as a training rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭ kravmaga

I've seen what I'm charged out at to clients, and it's about 2.5 times what I get paid by my employer per hour. It makes sense... they need to make money from me doing what I do as well.

Of course

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ NoIdea99

Maryanne84 wrote: »

Home carer rates with a company such as say Caremark is €24 per hour .. just outside Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ The DayDream

Whenever they say competitive, negotiable basically any string of characters that ain't a number you can guarantee the pay is gonna be crap.

I'm on a similar 'competitive' rate and it's not much, marginally better than not working at all. I'm now trying to figure out what kind of course I can do quickly to get something that's hiring and paying even just a bit more, like you said, 14 or 15 an hour. I have a degree but it's fairly useless for employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TaSeThat

I always judge a position on the package...not salary/wage. Left the private sector to work for the council. Big drop in salary but I was looking at the whole package. 30 days hols, flexi time, career break, job security, etc - if I based my decision on pay I would never have left. However, some positions may not offer a package, just a salary which may have been your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭ C3PO

I would assume that "competitive" means similar to what others in the industry are paying!

• Advertisement
Advertisement