Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant in Dundalk

Options
  • 16-06-2021 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We'll be based in Blackrock in early July for a few days holiday. We visited the Square restaurant, which we thought was very nice but unfortunately they're not available for the days we're there.

Any recommendations of nice restaurants in Dundalk for a couple?

Thanks,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Dundalk specifically or would you consider Blackrock as well?

Assuming in-door dining is allowed I'd recommend the Brake in Blackrock itself. Good food and good atmosphere. The Clermont also in Blackrock is nice too, more modern compared to The Brake, and has out door dining.

I don't think there's many places in town that have decent sized outdoor spaces, so that could be problematic if restrictions aren't lifted by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Yeah, Square would have been my shout, but I'd second The Clermont. It's very nice also and I believe they've recently renovated their outdoor space at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

An option also would be the stone house in Blackrock, ate there twice and found it very nice, very friendly service also. I ate in the Clermont after they opened and while the food was nice, the portions were very small, nice to sit in the front bar for a pint but unless you have a small apetite i wouldnt be going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Thanks all. Blackrock works for me as well - and I'm hoping in-door dining will also work for me!

Much appreciated.

Rocksalt is good for lunch or tea/coffee and cake as well. I've been told the Fairways hotel has a good setup for outdoor dining at the minute as well so that could be an option if in-door hasn't been reopened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The Stone House is spot on. I wouldn't recommend the Clermont at all. Last time there the food was particularly poor.

The Windsor in Dundalk is a good middle of the road value with an extensive menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    The Stone House is spot on. I wouldn't recommend the Clermont at all. Last time there the food was particularly poor.

The Windsor in Dundalk is a good middle of the road value with an extensive menu.

Not currently open. Sister pub is though- Kennedys & Very good.
    Straight across from the Train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not currently open. Sister pub is though- Kennedys & Very good.
    Straight across from the Train station.

Planned for early July though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

I'll say it. The Windsor is average. It's the same menu for ever. You don't get a bad meal in it but you don't get a great one either. And I think its expensive for what ye get

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dundalkshelly

Stone House, like already mentioned, in Blackrock, good food, very nice people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Dundalkshelly

Should indoor dining be possible, the Jockeys Dundalk is the best Restaurant, try that one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

As an aside, the crowd that own The Jockeys are doing up the Windmill Bar. Walked by it the other day and there is a planning permission notice up. Google the name (cant remember it now) and you can see is the same crowd that own The jockeys

event wrote: »
    As an aside, the crowd that own The Jockeys are doing up the Windmill Bar. Walked by it the other day and there is a planning permission notice up. Google the name (cant remember it now) and you can see is the same crowd that own The jockeys

They've owned that for a while, bought it long before they bought The Jockeys, I think they were surprised by how poor a condition it was in after they bought it.

Advertisement