Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Query on Watch Auction

• 15-06-2021 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭

If this is an unsuitable post, let me know & I will delete immediately, or a moderator can. I am a newbie here, so apologies in advance.

It's tricky to ask this question without identifying the item, but lets try an abstract query.

There are lots of auction houses in Ireland, but I noticed one has a watch of interest in an upcoming auction. Due to COVID, it's all on-line, but with the possibility to visit & inspect.

So I was in the area and arranged to view a swiss made chronograph, and it appeared in very nice condition, very few scratches on the crystal or SS body. It appears to run. It did have a service record from the AD, and it looks as if significant work was done in recent years. I think I saw a reference to new hands & "parts" . No service invoice, but I suspect significant :eek:
    On closer inspection of the watch face, I noticed 2 dimples on the watch face, and a slight crease close to the watch face edge over maybe 10% of the circumference(maybe a 1.5mm in). This version has only been manufactured after 2000 and does not show signs of physical wear, so what thoughts.

1) Run very quickly
    2) If it's great value, go for it and budget 1k for repairs...

List new on the watch is around €7.5-8k

It is a very fine watch...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Post a link to the listing, hard to tell otherwise. Nobody will gazump you no need to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭fortyplus

Fitz II wrote: »
    Post a link to the listing, hard to tell otherwise. Nobody will gazump you no need to worry.
    It's not gazumping, but was not sure it was OK to do?

fortyplus wrote: »
    It's not gazumping, but was not sure it was OK to do?

Its fine. People post links to for sale watches all the time.

Its fine. People post links to for sale watches all the time.

IWC for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭POBox19

1)
    Your description screams 'impact damage'.

• Advertisement

IWC is a nice watch, and that Portugieser Chronograph is lovely. The black dial in IWC is never as nice as the blue. I find auction prices on watches can be a bit mental and certainly their upper estimate would be overpaying. New dial and face screams waterdamage to me, somebody pressed the chrono pusher underwater and flooded the watch. Personally I would run a mile.

IWC is a nice watch, and that Portugieser Chronograph is lovely. The black dial in IWC is never as nice as the blue. I find auction prices on watches can be a bit mental and certainly their upper estimate would be overpaying. New dial and face screams waterdamage to me, somebody pressed the chrono pusher underwater and flooded the watch. Personally I would run a mile.

All totally valid points. And there is ~20% hammer fee.
    Due to dimples, etc, I might bet on impact damage, but one way or another, accident damage.
    Amazing if other parts were replaced that that AD would not have replaced the face!

Interesting that a USED IWC chrono face is £400 on fleabay.

What must it be new...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,267 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fortyplus wrote: »
    All totally valid points. And there is ~20% hammer fee.
    Due to dimples, etc, I might bet on impact damage, but one way or another, accident damage.
    Amazing if other parts were replaced that that AD would not have replaced the face!

It's not a hard watch to buy as it was and still is pretty popular I'd find a nice example on chrono24 personally

Cyrus wrote: »
    It's not a hard watch to buy as it was and still is pretty popular I'd find a nice example on chrono24 personally

Lacing my running shoes as I type...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,267 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement
Advertisement