Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours sprinkler

Options
  • 15-06-2021 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Was looking for some advice regarding my neighbours sprinkler use.
    Their garden is elevated with a fence on top of concrete slabs separating it. They have a small piece of grass (about 3m squared) on their side of the fence and have taken to use a sprinkler daily, rain of shine, which floods our garden and patio daily.
    I have spoken to them about it 4 times now and the last time asking for a more permanent long term solution ie. reasonable use of it. They said they would only put it on for 45 mins every day which seemed to be working but now it’s increased and can be on for 6 hours at a time and every day without fail, despite the fact knowing that it is causing a nuisance and potential damage to my property.
    Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Sprinklers in Ireland?! It’s been dry for about 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Return the water...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

45 minutes every day is crazy watering, nevermind having it on for hours!

If speaking to them multiple times isnt helping they must be the sort of people that need to learn a lesson.
    Do you have your own hose nearby?

Also, do your houses have water metres?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Charlene10

GreeBo wrote: »
    45 minutes every day is crazy watering, nevermind having it on for hours!

If speaking to them multiple times isnt helping they must be the sort of people that need to learn a lesson.
    Do you have your own hose nearby?

Also, do your houses have water metres?

I was wondering how I could cause an inconvenience for them…using my own hose sounds like a plan! The houses were only built in the last 2 years so I presume we do have meters I think they’re bringing in charges next year but I could have floated away by then 😒!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

As far as I’m aware if it’s causing a nuisance on your property you would have legal recourse. Obviously that is not a route I would suggest going other than as an absolute last resort, as it would create all sorts of tensions with an immediate neighbour, but I think you’ll have to be a lot firmer with them.

Ask them to come in and have a look at what’s happening. They may not realise how serious it is.

Just tell them it has to stop and they can’t keep flooding your property.

If they’re intending to continue to use sprinklers, they should install adequate drainage to prevent this.

They’re also completely over watering whatever they’re sprinkling if the water is flushing into your property.

It’s not California or Texas. The soil is likely very well hydrated and the water they’re sprinkling isn’t even being absorbed. It’s just running off.

Start with firm and friendly communication though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Charlene10

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Return the water...

Any suggestions how?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Charlene10 wrote: »
    Any suggestions how?

Put in a drain to catch the water then a little pump back to their lawn. If they want a swamp give it to them. I was joking mostly. I dunno if the water board would take an interest, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Invite them over for a drink/BBQ and then when their water starts flooding your garden, they'll surely cop what the story is and take steps to prevent it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Have you rung the council - they might have some obscure bye law that could be helpful.

Are they Irish? Even with timers (genius!) 45 minutes daily to water a lawn (patch) sounds just lunatic!!! Who in Ireland waters grass????

In navigation / rivers etc the person us responsible for their wake and the damage it does. I wonder who is responsible if you slip on their flood water on your patio or if their overflow makes your decking/ furniture slimey or rusts it - is there liability there?

Would it fall under anti social behaviour - citizens advice have a section on this (and asbos) - where any action that reasonably prevents you from enjoying the peace of your house and enjoying your property is covered. I imagine this wouod fall under that category. I guess thou you don’t want a big sunblocker or ugly high wall put up. Maybe a less powerful pressure in the tap and a different angle & height of the spray? Hopefully negotiable - with the present of a timer!

Advertisement