Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Shoo Shoo Shoes You

• 14-06-2021 9:22pm

I am currently looking for shoes for 'the big day'. As expected it's proving difficult. I can't wear high heels so am going for a low one, block or regular. I like the idea of having a second pair to change in to later just in case, I don't see how this will work given my dress will be altered to the shoe height.

Also the lady in the bridal shop gave me a very good tip, stay away from pointy toes as it will catch in the bottom of the dress. My choices have now more than halved and fantasies of dainty Bella Belle shoes will remain just that.

And of course I'm back to thinking 'see if I had a frothy tulle dress I wouldn't have this problem' :p:o

What are you all wearing on your feet or did you wear? Pics would be amazing! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

At a friend's wedding, the bride and groom had matching converse sneakers. So comfy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'm the same, there's no way I'd wear high or pointy heels! And I always have massive issues finding shoes to fit comfortable, because my feet are so wide. I ordered 11 pairs of shoes online in total for the wedding and have kept 2.

These are what I've bought for the daytime:
    https://www.oxendales.ie/shop//paradox-london-amiya-courts-wide-e-fit/im726/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=3191

And these are what I've bought for dancing in the evening (just in case):
    https://www.oxendales.ie/shop//cushion-walk-touch-and-close-sandals-extra-wide-eee-fit/qn702/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=4019

I found oxendales really good for finding wide fitting shoes (if anyone has the same issues as I do!). And they do free returns too, so it was handy to order a few different pairs/sizes and just send back what I don't want to keep.

My dress is (or will be) tea length, so I don't have the same concern about the length of the dress as you do. But if you're going for a very small heel anyway, there probably won't be much difference between your day shoes and your dancing shoes! I don't know about you, but I find a totally flat shoe actually isn't comfortable and a lot of "flat" shoes have a heel that's thicker than you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wore ballet slippers.

@Woodchuck, they both look really comfortable. I don't have wide feet but they are awkward ones. I need to be strapped or tied in to a shoe. You're right about flats, they can offer very little support although I do love them. Like et above I was considering little ballerinas. A bit of height is needed with the dress though I feel. I wonder are there any tips that allows you to wear a pointed toe and not get it stuck in the dress. Google brings nothing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I got mine from this brand https://www.paradoxlondon.com/ (got them from Debenhams when they were still open). Might be worth seeing if they have stockists here where you can try them on. Like you I can't have open shoes (need a strap) or I fall out. They have a few choices on heel height and I've found them really comfy.

• Advertisement

I got mine from this brand https://www.paradoxlondon.com/ (got them from Debenhams when they were still open). Might be worth seeing if they have stockists here where you can try them on. Like you I can't have open shoes (need a strap) or I fall out. They have a few choices on heel height and I've found them really comfy.

Oxendales do some paradox shoes, that's where I got mine. They do free returns, so you can order a few pairs and return whatever you don't want to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

I got these for my wedding and they were so comfortable and i got so many compliments on them

https://www.annielshop.com/bridal/heart-butterfly-1782-lama-c-044

They have some styles with even smaller heels and in general just a great range.

They are all lovely shoes you wore. Zed did your dress not catch in yours or was it a shorter style?

They are all lovely shoes you wore. Zed did your dress not catch in yours or was it a shorter style?

Mine was a high low dress that was tea length in the front and came to just the top of the heel in the back.

Whenever I have worn full length dresses of any kind, no matter what shoes I wear - heeled, flat, pointed, roundtoed, runners, barefoot - they always catch and I often stumble/trip. One of the many reasons I wanted tea length.

• Advertisement

zedhead wrote: »
    Mine was a high low dress that was tea length in the front and came to just the top of the heel in the back.

Whenever I have worn full length dresses of any kind, no matter what shoes I wear - heeled, flat, pointed, roundtoed, runners, barefoot - they always catch and I often stumble/trip. One of the many reasons I wanted tea length.

Oh Lord. See why didn't I think of all of this last year. The shoes I'm wearing will be needed for the alteration fitting so I won't be able to test them with the dress until then. I do have the dress but it's impossible to try shoes with it now as it's so so long. Need to get a hold of myself though, they are just feckin shoes.

Oh Lord. See why didn't I think of all of this last year. The shoes I'm wearing will be needed for the alteration fitting so I won't be able to test them with the dress until then. I do have the dress but it's impossible to try shoes with it now as it's so so long. Need to get a hold of myself though, they are just feckin shoes.

To be fair I am really clumsy - when I was bridesmaid for my friend the other 2 were wearing the same shoes and dress and they had no issues. I was constantly stumbling and did a full faceplant outside the venue (thankfully only the other bridesmaids witnessed this). The alterations person may be able to help/give tips when doing the fitting.

zedhead wrote: »
    To be fair I am really clumsy - when I was bridesmaid for my friend the other 2 were wearing the same shoes and dress and they had no issues. I was constantly stumbling and did a full faceplant outside the venue (thankfully only the other bridesmaids witnessed this). The alterations person may be able to help/give tips when doing the fitting.

The alterations person. I was going to find a different one but she was recommended to me and there are loads of good reviews on Facebook. My experience of her so far hasn't been great however. I just hope it's a communication thing and all will be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

I also can't wear shoes without straps and spent soooo long searching for shoes. I went with Rainbow Club in the end (stocked by lots of bridal shops) and they were really comfy for the majority of the day (I'm useless in heels)
    https://www.johnlewis.com/rainbow-club-nina-lace-platform-peep-toe-shoes-ivory/p381125
    Rainbow Club let you dye the shoes after the wedding to the colour of your choice. I never got around to it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I got Charlotte Mills George in Pearl glitter. I needed a a reasonably high heel as I’m only 5ft tall, small size, wide fit and block heel for comfort too. I love this style of shoe and it’s not overly ‘bridal’ looking either so I’ll get good wear out of them afterwards too. They are INSANELY comfortable. Super soft leather, good support, wide fit, leather sole, ankle strap so they’re not slipping off me. I couldn’t ask for anything better really!

I bought them last year as a bit of a pick-me-up when all the lockdowns were going on and I still love them. Can’t beat a bit of retail therapy :)

These are the ones I got but she does a lot of different toe shapes, heel heights, flats, straps, ankle ties etc. All with a block heel so extra easy to walk in.

https://charlottemills.com/products/george-pearl

Pooch, there isn't a hope in hell I would be able to walk in them shoes. They are lovely though and all the higher styles look so much nicer to me than the low heels. I had a look at Rainbow Club and will look some more. They do have lots of comfortable looking shoes.

Michelle yours are gorgeous. I was looking at the Immy Pearl. It's hard to know until they are on and the dress is fitting properly. I did find two amazing pairs but I would never wear the white ones again and I'm not sure if the gold colour would work. €300 including shipping :(

Were you both able to manage your dress in your shoes? You weren't worried about tripping?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

Have you looked at Rachel Simpson shoes? They’re stocked in Vintage Pearl in Galway, and probably other bridal shops, as well as online.

They have a range of heel heights and shapes including comfy block heels, almost all have a strap or t-bar and they have lovely colours that you could definitely wear again (as well as ivory of course!)
    There are some glittery ones which might snag on a delicate material, but mostly they have soft/rounded edges so unlikely to get caught.

I don’t want to post a photo of my shoes yet because my wedding is next month, but they are really comfy, and the leather is so soft!

Also, your alterations person should shorten the front of your dress a little more to allow you to walk comfortably without fear of tripping - they should ask you to walk in the dress to see how you move naturally in your shoes, most of us lean forward a little when we walk 😊

C@t wrote: »
    Have you looked at Rachel Simpson shoes? They’re stocked in Vintage Pearl in Galway, and probably other bridal shops, as well as online.

They have a range of heel heights and shapes including comfy block heels, almost all have a strap or t-bar and they have lovely colours that you could definitely wear again (as well as ivory of course!)
    There are some glittery ones which might snag on a delicate material, but mostly they have soft/rounded edges so unlikely to get caught.

I don’t want to post a photo of my shoes yet because my wedding is next month, but they are really comfy, and the leather is so soft!

Also, your alterations person should shorten the front of your dress a little more to allow you to walk comfortably without fear of tripping - they should ask you to walk in the dress to see how you move naturally in your shoes, most of us lean forward a little when we walk 😊

I have and her and Bella Belle are my favourites. Would I be comfortable in a non block heel and can I pay close to €300 for shoes I will unlikely wear again. They have now become my primary concerns. I think I'll be ok on the tripping front, like you say my dressmaker should be able to sort that out.

I love the idea of a coloured shoe like pink or blue but I don't want to look fussy. My dress is quite detailed, I wear glasses, and I want something nice in my hair.

Jaysus. I've always been a details person but I'm ridiculous now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I bought the Radiance Shoe for my wedding next year. They are so comfortable! I can't wear heels normally but these are fab.

Michelle yours are gorgeous. I was looking at the Immy Pearl. It's hard to know until they are on and the dress is fitting properly. I did find two amazing pairs but I would never wear the white ones again and I'm not sure if the gold colour would work. €300 including shipping :(

Were you both able to manage your dress in your shoes? You weren't worried about tripping?

Immy Pearl are gorgeous! Very bridal though so would definitely be a bit harder to get away with wearing them after the day :)

I agree, €300 is very pricey if only for one day. That’s how I’m justifying it by saying I’ll def wear them again :o. Sign up to the CM mailing list and they often times do discount codes, 10% or 15% sometimes. I bought them last summer when they were £225, they’re £235 now. It was also pre brexit and I got free shipping and 10% off so I think I paid €220/€230 in total.

I collected my dress last week and tried them on with it. I thought the glitter might catch a bit of the tulle but it was actually grand. My dress is about a foot too long still so I won’t know properly how they will be to walk it until after alterations! I’m not worried though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I also got Rainbow Club and they were very comfy. I take a large size and so they were great as the size was generous. The closest I could find in terms of style was here: https://www.johnlewis.com/rainbow-club-bobbie-cone-heeled-court-shoes-ivory/p3089254

Mine didn’t have the glitter, and the heel was slightly more blocky. Loved them & wore them all day with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Ruby Shoo and Irregular Choice do beautiful and comfortable, if a little quirky, wedding shoes .

Michelle, the whole budget can easily turn in to monopoly money. We need to have an indulgence or 7 :D It's exciting getting the dress and seeing how it will all go together. I picked mine up last Saturday and like yours loads need to be taken off it.

Gutenburg they are a lovely shoe. Rainbow Club seems to be a popular choice.

Thanks Mam :) I've heard of Irregular Choice but not Ruby Shoo. They don't ship to Europe it seems but I did find a few online Irish retailers who stock them.

I'm getting a clearer idea now of where I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭helen87

i bought mine off asos, they were just plain ivory ones for €40 wit a 2 inch block heel and then i bought lovely shoe clips off amazon for €15. i did not want to spend mad money on shoes people would hardly see as my dress is so long. plus i can use the clips again afterwards!

Shoe update :)

I've whittled it down. I would love to wear a beautiful shoe that would get future outings but it means going low key on my accessories.
    I don't want to look like a Christmas tree.

A plain white pair would give me more flexibility on the other bits. Doesn't fill me with "omg" feelings though.

Anyways here are my two ideas. Now to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Shoe update :)

I've whittled it down. I would love to wear a beautiful shoe that would get future outings but it means going low key on my accessories.
    I don't want to look like a Christmas tree.

A plain white pair would give me more flexibility on the other bits. Doesn't fill me with "omg" feelings though.

Anyways here are my two ideas. Now to decide.

The first pair definitely have more wow about them and you could definitely wear them again. I am definitely a fan of a block heal for more comfort. The second pair are nice, very bridal, but probably never leaving your wardrobe again.

Neither of my shoes are subtle but they won’t be seen under the dress so I am not to worried about going over the top with accessories. Just follow your heart on the shoes.

mohawk wrote: »
    The first pair definitely have more wow about them and you could definitely wear them again. I am definitely a fan of a block heal for more comfort. The second pair are nice, very bridal, but probably never leaving your wardrobe again.

Neither of my shoes are subtle but they won’t be seen under the dress so I am not to worried about going over the top with accessories. Just follow your heart on the shoes.

Oh I love the first pair! They are so beautiful.

Are you sure your shoes won't be seen? Mine shouldn't be either but I don't know. Maybe when walking. Probably depends how much I get taken off the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Probably a bit out there but I had purple irregular choice for mine. https://www.irregularchoice.com/eu/womens/mid-heels.html

Thumpette wrote: »
    Probably a bit out there but I had purple irregular choice for mine. https://www.irregularchoice.com/eu/womens/mid-heels.html

I love these :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I wore that Briana Rainbow Club one for my wedding. They were very comfortable for the day but the only problem with them is that the sole is quite slippy so you'd need to sandpaper it a bit if you were walking on wooden floors/dancefloor. I slipped on the way up the aisle in them. Thankfully my husband had a firm grip on me so kept me from actually falling on my arse. (we walked in and out together rather than my dad giving me away which I didn't like - we had a blessing rather than a traditional wedding)

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I wore that Briana Rainbow Club one for my wedding. They were very comfortable for the day but the only problem with them is that the sole is quite slippy so you'd need to sandpaper it a bit if you were walking on wooden floors/dancefloor. I slipped on the way up the aisle in them. Thankfully my husband had a firm grip on me so kept me from actually falling on my arse. (we walked in and out together rather than my dad giving me away which I didn't like - we had a blessing rather than a traditional wedding)

Eeek. I'll have my 79 year old dad to cling on to :p

The gold Bella Belles it is! Thanks Molly :D

Just on the topic of shoes in general:

1. Can anyone recommend decent anti-slip things to stick on the bottom of them? I'm worried about slipping in mine, I'm quite accident prone!

2. Does anyone know an Irish supplier who does shoe clips? I'm looking for something dainty, floral and colourful to jazz up my shoes a bit. I've seen some I like on Etsy from suppliers in other European countries, but would prefer to buy Irish if possible.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Just on the topic of shoes in general:

1. Can anyone recommend decent anti-slip things to stick on the bottom of them? I'm worried about slipping in mine, I'm quite accident prone!

2. Does anyone know an Irish supplier who does shoe clips? I'm looking for something dainty, floral and colourful to jazz up my shoes a bit. I've seen some I like on Etsy from suppliers in other European countries, but would prefer to buy Irish if possible.

I found these lads Woodchuck.
    www.secretfashionfixes.ie

Uh oh. I have found the most beautiful perfect shoe. I dare not...........

I’m happy to be the devil on your shoulder if required :D

• Advertisement

I’m happy to be the devil on your shoulder if required :D

:D And I would definitely wear them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Hope I'm not derailing the thread buuuut, on the topic of shoes... Does anyone know what the Jimmy Choo outlet in Kildare Village is like for wedding shoes?

But if they didn't go with my dress or didn't fit properly.....hmm......

Hope I'm not derailing the thread buuuut, on the topic of shoes... Does anyone know what the Jimmy Choo outlet in Kildare Village is like for wedding shoes?

I was only there on Monday. They have some lovely ones. I came across a pair of pink kitten heels but the toe section looked really really narrow. I can't remember the price but not outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I was only there on Monday. They have some lovely ones. I came across a pair of pink kitten heels but the toe section looked really really narrow. I can't remember the price but not outrageous.

Thank you! I'll have to pencil in a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

I saw lovely wedding shoes on ohelloclothing.ie if anyone is still looking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

theres a shop in Kinsale that is the Irish stockist of these!

https://thewhiteandgold.ie/contemporary-bridal-designers/loeffler-randall/

they are fabulous - prob a bit high for me but love the look.

ams wrote: »
    theres a shop in Kinsale that is the Irish stockist of these!

https://thewhiteandgold.ie/contemporary-bridal-designers/loeffler-randall/

they are fabulous - prob a bit high for me but love the look.

Oh yes I was tempted to take a trip down to them but I know I would want to try on all of their beautiful dresses and then be back to square one not liking mine :p

Shoes still not purchased. I tried my dress on earlier with my hair up and I look so bare. It just has two little straps. My preference is definitely to keep the hair up though, feels less fussy. What will I have to torment myself over when all of this is done! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A good friend with really bad feet had her favourite shoes professionally covered to match the dress - you barely saw them anyway but they looked great and she didn’t have to worry about her feet issues or comfort... mihht be worth considering! Only issue was she lost her favourite pair of comfy black workshoes!!! (pearly white wasn’t a great business suit look! )

Why must the perfect shoe be so expensive.

They are lovely Michellen but the diamonds on the strap would catch in my dress. I do keep finding reasons to spend a ridiculous amount on them :D

I went completely bonkers and bought the above. Turns out they won't be delivered until mid September. I sent an email letting them know this is too late for me. They are very helpful and told me they could send a sample with the same heel height in time for my fitting. Sure what if the shoe doesn't fit properly when it arrives? That won't leave me with much time to exchange or get a different shoe.

Advertisement