Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir F2000 router and 4G LTE failover

Options
  • 14-06-2021 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Need some help with network config.

Had a major internet outage today which brought my office to a grinding halt.

As its not the first time this happened i decided to fix it.

I went to Argos and bought a TP-LINK ARCHER MR200 AC750 WIRELESS DUAL BAND 4G LTE ROUTER and thought it would be straight forward to add it as a failover wan port.

Anyway, i was in over my head (got PCs up and running with wifi dongles but not my phone system which i needed badly) as i couldn't figure or find documentation on how to create a failover route when my dsl connection was down.

My question is it possible to do this with the devices i have? If yes, could somebody point me in the direction of some documentation or any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

barleyman wrote: »
    Need some help with network config.

Had a major internet outage today which brought my office to a grinding halt.

As its not the first time this happened i decided to fix it.

I went to Argos and bought a TP-LINK ARCHER MR200 AC750 WIRELESS DUAL BAND 4G LTE ROUTER and thought it would be straight forward to add it as a failover wan port.

Anyway, i was in over my head (got PCs up and running with wifi dongles but not my phone system which i needed badly) as i couldn't figure or find documentation on how to create a failover route when my dsl connection was down.

My question is it possible to do this with the devices i have? If yes, could somebody point me in the direction of some documentation or any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Not the best device for that purpose from specs prospective even if you get it working - LTE cat4, 100Mbps LAN. Correct me if wrong, but for failover, all network would need to go through ARCHER

Another question would be will it work with VOIP system(assumption what you use) at all.

From what i had experienced, VOIP providers might require you being on static WAN IP and mobile connection usually is not providing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

Thanks for getting back to me.

Its a small GP practice so 100mb is ok for now.

I'm using Zoom phone for my VoIP and it doesn't require a static IP address. As a backup also have Zoom client and headset for the desktops

What would you recommend using to do what i require?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

barleyman wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me.

Its a small GP practice so 100mb is ok for now.

I'm using Zoom phone for my VoIP and it doesn't require a static IP address. As a backup also have Zoom client and headset for the desktops

What would you recommend using to do what i require?
    I dont have "first hand" experience with failover - cant recommend specifics. Hopefully some others will join.
    In any case, would be good to know what "main" connection you have and what device stand for modem/router? What way you have Archer connected and configured(WAN interface)?

Advertisement