Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get rid of my Deau

Options
  • 14-06-2021 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

As per title, I have a 2003 Deauville that I no longer use. It has 24.5K on it :eek: . Most of that mileage was done between 2005 and 2009. Between 2009 and 2015, I probably did about 3k, and since 2015, I'd be amazed if I'd managed 1k. Even in the last 5 years, I've changed the oil and coolant a couple of times (most recently last year - then rode it for a week!!)

It now needs a little TLC, and to be honest I'm not pushed to do it, or pay someone else to do it, just to leave it sitting under a cover taking up space in the back garden.

Here's my problem:

Its a Deauville (apparently that rates as a problem :pac:)

Its less than well loved - few scrapes on the pannier lids from squeezing through the back gate.

Front fork seal weeping. Not a tube fault, as the tubes were replaced in 2015 with stainless, and they remain stainless to this day.

Now, if I was a young lad with an oul' lads head, I'd look at this bike as a project.

Service - the usual stuff
    Brakes - I'd recommend a thorough strip down and cleaning, plenty still left on the pads, and not spongy, but still .... Five years since they were looked at.

Replace fork seals - a bxtard of a job. IMO.

Check rear shock, nothing to report from me, but I'm a sedate driver never go over 100 on it. (ok may have opened it up on a back road behind the airport recently, and it handled the bends well). I know they're likely to seize at the lower bolt, and I've NEVER examined that area.

I don't want to put it on Done Deal or anything, neighbour lost a nearly new bike that way.

I don't know if a dealer would take it, as they can't sell it 'as is' so they'd have to make a reasonable investment, which probably wouldn't be worth it to them.

I also have all the gear, AlpineStars Jacket and trousers - brand new condition, and Alpinestars boots new looking with minor scuffs, and HKC helmet. All 5 years old.

I read a lot of the posts on this forum, and get the sense of community that seems to exists. So I'm hoping one of you will be able to suggest what will be my best approach. You might know someone who'd take this bike for a modest 'finders fee' :pac: (I'm serious, I'm not trying to make money here, I want it to to be of some use to someone:) )

oh, its taxed and has a brand new battery. also has its own community of spiders.

So, comments, advice and criticisms welcome. Have at it !!

Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I'd put it on donedeal with that text and only allow contact via donedeal messages.

Anytime I've sold anything I've been similarly honest and the only people that bother to contact via message are people that actually want to buy what you're selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd be interested, what part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'd put it on donedeal with that text and only allow contact via donedeal messages.

Anytime I've sold anything I've been similarly honest and the only people that bother to contact via message are people that actually want to buy what you're selling.

Thanks for the advice, Acq. I'll consider that. As I said in my op, I'm a little nervy about selling from the front door (God knows why, in reality) but I'll use that method, of DoneDeal messaging, if it comes to it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Donedeal or adverts. Dont put up a phone number and have an email address for it or private messages

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd be interested, what part of the country are you in?

Hi CJ, I was in your house once! Unless your not the REAL CJ:pac::pac::pac:

I'm in Artane, right next to the band. I don't know where you are, and I would be loathe to encourage someone to make a long journey on spec. If you like, I can do a phone video of the bike, highlighting the eh, features :pac:. Then I'll either try to PM it to you or we can devise another way of getting it to you (the video that is).

Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement

Indeed. I am in south Dublin so will assist if you need help. I can also assist you on Adverts.ie

Indeed. I am in south Dublin so will assist if you need help. I can also assist you on Adverts.ie

That's very good of you, thanks. I've never used Adverts , nor DoneDeal, so I will no doubt be glad of any help, should I eventually go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

cityspares advertise they buy pretty much any bike - could be a (last) option for you

Wossack wrote: »
    cityspares advertise they buy pretty much any bike - could be a (last) option for you

Thanks Wossack. It would be a shame to see it used for spares. Went for a quick spin the other day round north county Dublin, just because I had nothing important to do. Had to test the brakes when I came round a bend to find an artic coming towards me on my side of the road. Fortunately I'd spotted the hazards on the far side of the road of a broken down van and was already preparing for action. Anyway, the brakes work! I had already passed a memorial on a corner - helmet on a cross, and I think a pair of jeans. Sobering reminder of the risks. It was a T junction, so my imagination jumped straight to someone pulling out not seeing the bike. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Hi Nick,

What color is it? Went touring around Spain on a deauville a few years back and loved it thought it was a fantastic bike. Currently bikeless and thoughts of another deauville are very tempting.

• Advertisement

BazzyB wrote: »
    Hi Nick,

What color is it? Went touring around Spain on a deauville a few years back and loved it thought it was a fantastic bike. Currently bikeless and thoughts of another deauville are very tempting.

Hi Bazzy. Its silver. However, it's in need of a spray job due to scrapes on the panniers. Or... well placed stickers might work.
    I'm going to attach a single photo here. But I dont want to get in trouble for trying to sell it on here, so over the weekend I'll put a few photos together and put it up on adverts.ie, after which I'll come back here and post the link to the ad.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

For your own sanity put it up on DD rather than Adverts.
    Unless you really want to swap it for an iPhone with a cracked screen, a green line down the middle, and locked to Tesco Mobile.......

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Unless you really want to swap it for an iPhone with a cracked screen, a green line down the middle, and locked to Tesco Mobile.......

Jayziz, its worth THAT much :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Thanks for the tip. I've noticed that there's a thread here that's devoted to ads on DoneDeal. Reckon I'd better be careful though, don't want to become the butt of some of the more comical observations!

In fairness most of the DD thread is concerned with bikes that are ridiculously overpriced.
    Unfortunately for yourself Deauville prices are all over the place at the moment.
    Some seem to sell relatively quickly, others are up there for months.
    Are there any Deau's on DD that you would consider fairly similar to yours ?
    If there's even one, and you would be happy to sell yours for a bit less then at least you have an idea of asking price
    Edit: from looking at the photo you put up I've seen much worse being advertised as "needs a bit of TLC".
    Have you got the Honda top box to match the mounting plate ? Always a nice extra and can't harm the sale.

If he puts it on adverts with a flat price, no swaps etc etc, he will be fine. I guarantee it

Swap your guarantee for one of my Ads ???? Cash my way.:D:D:D

I know what you're saying. I sell a lot of stuff on adverts, but rarely Cars or Bikes. Just too much BS.
    Also DD has a better Audience for Bikes.
    I'd say this particular Bike could easily ask €1,950 on DD, and hope for €1,650. And that's real-world pricing not the current Covid-pricing nonsense that's going on.

On adverts he'll have guys offering him €1k (and less) and once other pr!ck$ can openly see that kind of money being mentioned it just reduces any chance of him even getting €1,200 for the Bike

Swap your guarantee for one of my Ads ???? Cash my way.:D:D:D

I know what you're saying. I sell a lot of stuff on adverts, but rarely Cars or Bikes. Just too much BS.
    Also DD has a better Audience for Bikes.
    I'd say this particular Bike could easily ask €1,950 on DD, and hope for €1,650. And that's real-world pricing not the current Covid-pricing nonsense that's going on.

On adverts he'll have guys offering him €1k (and less) and once other pr!ck$ can openly see that kind of money being mentioned it just reduces any chance of him even getting €1,200 for the Bike
    I agree about the visible prices offered, but If he sets a minimum price with no swaps, he will be fine. If you ignore those terms, you will be removed I guarantee it.....

Are you a new adverts rep on here ????
    What exactly are you going to guarantee ? And how are proposing to guarantee it ?

I've said DD has a better Customer Audience.
    I've said that Adverts will devalue his bike due to Knobheads offering their pocket-money for the bike.
    At present nearly all Private sales of 2nd-hand Bikes are done through DD.
    Why shouldn't this Seller (especially as he appears wary of the prospect of dealing with chancers) not use the most popular and largest Bike Selling Platform in the Country ?

Are you a new adverts rep on here ????
    What exactly are you going to guarantee ? And how are proposing to guarantee it ?

I've said DD has a better Customer Audience.
    I've said that Adverts will devalue his bike due to Knobheads offering their pocket-money for the bike.
    At present nearly all Private sales of 2nd-hand Bikes are done through DD.
    Why shouldn't this Seller (especially as he appears wary of the prospect of dealing with chancers) not use the most popular and largest Bike Selling Platform in the Country ?
    I have offered the op assistance directly. Adverts have no reps here since closure of the official forum From one biker to another, I will help him. That's all I am saying
    Thanks

The same as I have tried to help him.
    Maybe we're both right...........;)

• Advertisement

The same as I have tried to help him.
    Maybe we're both right...........;)

Yep, indeed.

Advertisement