Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed law: Criminal offense for refusing to provide password for encrypted device

Options
  • 14-06-2021 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-garda-powers-to-allow-access-to-mobile-phones-changes-to-stop-and-search-1.4592434

A person who refuses to surrender a password for a mobile phone or other device to gardaí will be committing a crime and could face up to five years in prison and a fine of up to €30,000 under new legislation being unveiled on Monday.

The move comes as more crime has migrated online where it is carried out on phones, computers and other devices protected by personal logins.

I read this article this morning, and I was wondering if similar laws exist in other European countries.

The article does not go into any detail on what safeguards would be in place to ensure that this would not be abused by the Gardai.

For example, if a suspect had some other embarassing or incriminating content on their device not directly related to why they were under investigation, would this be used to coerce them?

I'm interested in hearing more learned opinions on how this law could work practically.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement