Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlocking old laptop

• 14-06-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Have an old work laptop (never required to give back). 6+ months since it was last logged into but it’s still in good knick so would like to see if I could boot it up.

At the login screen it still defaults to the old login method and I can’t enter as guest user etc.

Tried booting in safe mode but I don’t have a Biocker key so I’m a little stuck.

Windows 10 is the OS

Note: not trying to break any law here or anything - Just seeing if I can get use out of old laptop!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Some kind person on here got me into old Laptop I had before. I'll see if I can dig out the Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Here look in this Thread there might be anything of help in there..
    Also on Post #13 should bring you to Thread that somebody here got me into old Laptop I had!🙂
    Hope it helps!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99546072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Do you need to recover you data from hard disk ?

If not - re-install OS and if it is Windows 10 it will pull serial number from BIOS/UEFI and activate itself online.

If you need to access data then you need to use your credentials from work, it might be your old password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hadron Collider

Is the laptop encrypted with Bitlocker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,674 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If it is encrypted with Bitlocker then no way you can access it without the password

Wipe and reinstall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Is the laptop encrypted with Bitlocker?

Don’t think it matters in this case. It reads like the OP got a freebie from a company he no longer works for and just wants it to use for non-work related activity. As fritz suggested, in this case, wipe/reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hadron Collider

How did you use the laptop previously, OP? Have you forgotten the password?

If it's an old work laptop encrypted with Bitlocker, it's possible that your domain administrator could obtain the recovery password from Active Directory Domain Services, depending on whether they enabled this recovery method when the laptop was set up. You could contact IT and ask.

Otherwise, you're unfortunately out of luck. Bitlocker is designed to prevent anyone from accessing data on a computer in the event that it is lost or stolen, and it is highly secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

yea just create a windows 10 boot UBS from the Microsoft website.
    Then use this to wipe and reinstall the OS.

I've done this lots of time with old work laptops.

Advertisement