Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interviewing for remote role with UK company

Options
  • 14-06-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm due to have an interview for a fully remote role with a UK-based startup this week. The role is quite attractive with good remuneration, but I'm a bit wary of it at the same time, as I can imagine it's the type of thing where when it goes wrong, it can go very wrong.

I don't believe the company have a physical presence in Ireland, so I think that means I'll have to self-assess for taxation purposes, but I'm more worried that a UK company could just choose to terminate my employment or not pay me and I'd have no comeback. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but if anyone has advice that would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

magoo84 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm due to have an interview for a fully remote role with a UK-based startup this week. The role is quite attractive with good remuneration, but I'm a bit wary of it at the same time, as I can imagine it's the type of thing where when it goes wrong, it can go very wrong.

I don't believe the company have a physical presence in Ireland, so I think that means I'll have to self-assess for taxation purposes, but I'm more worried that a UK company could just choose to terminate my employment or not pay me and I'd have no comeback. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but if anyone has advice that would be great, thanks

You'd have a come back if they don't pay you for the time you have worked. It's two years there before you can claim unfair dismissal. Where will you be employed? If it's the uk you'll need a national insurance number getting this without a UK address will be tricky. Maybe being a contractor might help you more and them

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

You'd have a come back if they don't pay you for the time you have worked. It's two years there before you can claim unfair dismissal. Where will you be employed? If it's the uk you'll need a national insurance number getting this without a UK address will be tricky. Maybe being a contractor might help you more and them

Thanks for the reply. I'll be working from Dublin as it's a fully remote position so should avoid that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Out of curiosity, as its a remote role are they allowing you to work from any EU country? If you wanted could you do the role from amsterdam for example if you decided to move there? Just curious as i see alot of remote roles but your never 100% sure on if its "fully remote"...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

magoo84 wrote: »
    ....so I think that means I'll have to self-assess for taxation purposes, but I'm more worried that a UK company could just choose to terminate my employment or not pay me and I'd have no comeback. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but if anyone has advice that would be great, thanks

You need to lose the employee mindset if you're going down that route. You would become self-employed, with all the risks and potential gain that brings.

Another option is to use an umbrella company here. You be their employee, they would contract you out to to UK client-company. That makes your tax and welfare simpler - but you'd be paying for the service. It doesn't remove the risk that the client-company could terminate the contract.

Advertisement