Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Gambling Adverts: Too Many?

Options
  • 14-06-2021 2:17am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the past few years, the number and frequency of adverts for online gambling, particularly on TV, has not escaped my notice. In fact, it seems that since the Covid-19 pandemic kicked off and the lockdowns began, there are even more of these gambling ads on the TV and online.

I think they are insidious, far too prevalent and highly questionable from an ethical and moral perspective - given how dependent the gambling industry is on problem gamblers and gambling addicts. Late night TV seems to be particularly saturated with these adverts. They also seem to have some sort of sporting angle - to appeal to young lads, presumably.

Anyone else agree with me or have other thoughts on this?

Should Online Gambline Adverts Be Banned? 86 votes

Yes
    77% 67 votes
    No
    22% 19 votes
    Restrictions incl. Times and Number of Adverts
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i bet you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JupiterKid wrote:
    I think they are insidious, far too prevalent and highly questionable from an ethical and moral perspective - given how dependent the gambling industry is in problem gamblers and gambling addicts. Late night TV seems to be particularly saturated with these adverts. They also seem to have some sort of sporting angle - to appeal to young lads, presumably.

Since when has the world of gambling ever been ethical or moral? Surprised, come on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The ads in the wee small hours of the morning can be quite depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

It's a horrible industry with no positives unless you are a bookie. Online or bricks and mortar they should all be shut. If you're losing they welcome you with open arms but if you're a regular winner they'll shut your account. They have it all their own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Car99 wrote: »
    It's a horrible industry with no positives unless you are a bookie. Online or bricks and mortar they should all be shut. If you're losing they welcome you with open arms but if you're a regular winner they'll shut your account. They have it all their own way.

Too late for prohibition now, maybe back in the day when it just bricks and mortar

My major concern is the insidious gambling targeted at minors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

online gambling and gambling apps should be banned the temptation is just too great, and if we don't take steps we're going to have a pandemic of gambling addiction and the misery that goes with it the coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The ads on UK satellite channels are depressing; online gambling, 2000% APR loans, fast fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Gambling should be treated the same as alcohol and cigarettes. If you are watching a Sunday afternoon game on Sky for example you are guaranteed to see at least 20 ads for different book makers, completely glamourising betting, all they show are the highs of winning, gambling is going to be the biggest addiction issue for people in years to come. It's become completely normalised, from online slots to bingo to poker to football. Absolute blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If you've ever watched a football match on Sky or BT you'll have noticed this being a problem for the past 10 years. Wall to wall betting ads every time there's a break, with maybe the odd ad for ordering your dominos pizza for half time thrown in. It's absolutely relentless. I don't mind the odd bet myself but this ultra aggressive advertising should have been banned years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

If you've ever watched a football match on Sky or BT you'll have noticed this being a problem for the past 10 years. Wall to wall betting ads every time there's a break, with maybe the odd ad for ordering your dominos pizza for half time thrown in. It's absolutely relentless. I don't mind the odd bet myself but this ultra aggressive advertising should have been banned years ago.

No doubt the Premier League has been a major problem

They took the corporate pound the whole lot of them

Dunno what the UK government was doing, looks like they were asleep at the wheel or didn't care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭golondrinas1

They invite you to set your limit . I lmao when I see this. They know you're going to lose they just give you the chance to say how much !. Shure you can always change the limit to chase your losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I have noticed a lot of ads too. I have no interest in gambling. But what irritates me is how bad they are. Gaudy and cheap. Do they not spend any money on advertising, because that what it looks like. They make millions and yet manage to look like some backstreet flyer.

Will give Kevin Bacon credit for advertising for a mobile network rather than a gambling website. The latter seems to be a regular occurrence these days.

fryup wrote: »
    online gambling and gambling apps should be banned the temptation is just too great, and if we don't take steps we're going to have a pandemic of gambling addiction and the misery that goes with it the coming years

already well in action, the size of the paddy power offices is very telling, i dont think theyre losing all that much!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try morning / early afternoon when it's all about getting cash out of OAP's for funeral plans / release equity

try morning / early afternoon when it's all about getting cash out of OAP's for funeral plans / release equity

Fair point, with the occasional meal delivery ad thrown in for diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Xander10

They send out the message to kids and everyone on fact, that you can't enjoy a sporting event properly, without having a bet on it.

So many lives will be ruined by addiction. Seem to be no will be governments to curtail.

Xander10 wrote: »
    They send out the message to kids and everyone on fact, that you can't enjoy a sporting event properly, without having a bet on it.

So many lives will be ruined by addiction. Seem to be no will be governments to curtail.

nice tax revenue id imagine, and it favours certain sectors such as horse racing, which are well protected by government

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a mugs game.

even the claw machines are rigged

https://i.imgur.com/raWpeaT.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've a thread started a few years ago in the same vein as I am sure there are more like it also.
    All this advertising does is normalise the behaviour amongst our young and impressionable people. And agreed something should have been done about it years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would have to be all gambling ads, including lottery and bingo. I'm also against how RTE can pause the children's film every Saturday evening to show the Lotto draw, pure criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Genre.. wrote: »
    No doubt the Premier League has been a major problem

They took the corporate pound the whole lot of them

Dunno what the UK government was doing, looks like they were asleep at the wheel or didn't care

8 teams in the Premier league were sponsored by betting companies so there's no escaping them when they are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

There should be a watershed time at the least, I have have my kids repeating back odds advertised mid match etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Screaming for bans and restrictions on gambling is akin to curtailing alcohol consumption by force, i.e the early closing times of off licenses and minimum pricing, I don't agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't watch tv much if at all anymore, but I can attest that the online ads on YouTube are 90% gambling. My waking hours are 4pm to 8am, and on my off nights inbetween sessions of gaming, I throws on YouTube to watch some crashes, or NBA highlights, or just random YT stuff. Because YT are a bunch of greedy cnuts, they force ads on every video now, regardless of content (some parents found out the hard way when putting on that 1 hour lullaby song they've always used, to have the child woken up with some screaming ad after a few minutes - plus some ads now are entire videos in themselves, some upwards of an hour or more). But as I be watching on the PS5, I can't install adblock, etc. I also refuse to watch the ads, so I close the video and open it again. When you do it this way, it tries anywhere from 3 to 9 (the highest I counted so far) times to show you an ad before it'll play the video.

From about 1am the gambling ads start to take over, and the other morning I counted 4 in a row before the video played. I'm not sure how this would work on a kids console, but I don't bet at all (lotto aside, if you consider that betting, which I don't), so they're not targeted ads. So yeah, aside from all the great points mentioned above as to why they should be banned/curtailed, I want them banned because I'm sick of see the first second of every one of them, constantly.

On a side note, because of my refusal to watch ads, since this crappy practice began, I've watch more bits of videos than I ever have. As they have ads in the video, I won't watch them unless they're the 5 second long or skippable after 5 second ones. Anything else, I close the video and will rarely if ever try to watch it again. If it's somewhat worth following up, I'll save it to a playlist to play on the PC when I use it. I surely can't be the only one.

Screaming for bans and restrictions on gambling is akin to curtailing alcohol consumption by force, i.e the early closing times of off licenses and minimum pricing, I don't agree with it.

How about curtailing advertising on gambling so it isn't wall to wall?
    Do you not think kids are way too exposed to it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, from the poll I put up with this thread and the number of thanks in my first post - it looks like I am not alone in my opinion that adverts for online gambling (and other forms of betting, especially around sporting events such as football) should be banned outright - or at least curtailed.

The Irish Association of Psychiatrists has noticed a huge increase in patients presenting with gambling addiction issues over the past couple of years, and have called for an advertising ban, as has the Labour Party. See the link below...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40192743.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

kippy wrote: »
    How about curtailing advertising on gambling so it isn't wall to wall?
    Do you not think kids are way too exposed to it?

How about if in every advert for gambling they had to put equal time into showing the downsides? 30 seconds of showing someone winning followed by 30 seconds of telling about a home that was destroyed.

I remember reading that at least 30% of people who gamble online are addicted. It could be a lot more.

I don't have any issues with gambling per se. I know loads that bet within the their limits. A fiver here, a tenner there. I'll play the odd lotto or even the grand national.
    But it needs to be heavily regulated. There needs to be limits and strict ID checks so people can't just open up a new account with a new email address. And if someone is blacklisted in one company, they're black listed on others.

And finally gambling firms should shoulder the cost of all addiction treatment. They make money from something that's highly addictive. They should take responsability for their actions.

Grayson wrote: »
    How about if in every advert for gambling they had to put equal time into showing the downsides? 30 seconds of showing someone winning followed by 30 seconds of telling about a home that was destroyed.

I remember reading that at least 30% of people who gamble online are addicted. It could be a lot more.

I don't have any issues with gambling per se. I know loads that bet within the their limits. A fiver here, a tenner there. I'll play the odd lotto or even the grand national.
    But it needs to be heavily regulated. There needs to be limits and strict ID checks so people can't just open up a new account with a new email address. And if someone is blacklisted in one company, they're black listed on others.

And finally gambling firms should shoulder the cost of all addiction treatment. They make money from something that's highly addictive. They should take responsability for their actions.
    Totally - anything to reduce the glorification and normalisation of the activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

You can hear the sincerity in Stevie G's voice when he says "this is betting" on the Boyle sports ad.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement