Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For Swap: Small, Dawes Galaxy, 531, 90's?Super Tourist, swap for larger bike

• 13-06-2021 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello All

Bought this bike sight unseen, and it turns out its far too small for me as it seems to be 52cm frame and thought here might be the place to swap it. Suitable at a guess for some thats about 5,6 or so

Hoping to try swap it for a bike thats sized for a 6,1 tall man, thats either similar in form or function e.g long commutes/ day trips, though pannier rack and drop bars are optional. Fairly flexible.

Bike is a Dawes Galaxy Super Tourist (I am not sure if this is the same as the Super Galaxy but I think it is)

Description/Parts

Frame: Reynolds 531, size 52 cm
    Forks: Reynolds 531
    Gears and brakes: Shimano Exage 400, down bar shifters
    Tires: Schwable Marathon (in decent condition)
    Wheels: Front wheel is Mavic, unsure about rear wheel, both quick release.
    Brakes: Center Pull Cantilever Brakes
    Handle bars: Original drop barswith nice "made in england" etching

Condition: Has some light surface damage but no significant rust that I have seen, the bike has obviously been stored in the dry, larger patch of paint missing on the left fork but its not corroded (can be seen in photo 2).
    Everything seems to be running smoothly and the gears change well, I have only cycled it for a mile though to test it.

Pretty similar to this bike apart from shifter positions and frame size. Will add photographs when account lets me

http s://w ww .eba y. c o.u k/itm/334033159234?hash=item4dc5ed8442:g:o-IAAOSwZ9xgv7sI

Here is photo's of the bike itself.
    Can add specific photos if needed later in the week

h tt ps :// imgur . co m/a/UUT36Cc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

GLWS

DmyusHq.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Not looking to trade, but if you are interested, I have a frame that looks almost identical and is in a bigger size. I bought it a few years back with the intention of building it up, but that never happened. Here is the pic from the advert when I bought it

Its definitely bigger than your existing frame. If you are interested, I can measure it. One thing to note is the seat-post clamp is rusted (seen in pic), but a good mechanic could remove it.

I'm not really interested in selling it, but it just matches your existing frame, so it seems like a good match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Jim Murphy 69

If you are interested in selling that Dawes Galaxy frame just let me know, I would be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

Frame will be 531ST, that’s where the super tourist comes from. Pretty robust setup.

This website gives a bit of info on 531ST frames.

https://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/cycling-article-blog/87-reynolds-531-tubing-the-cycle-tourists-friend

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bikeswap101

mh_cork wrote: »
    Not looking to trade, but if you are interested, I have a frame that looks almost identical and is in a bigger size. I bought it a few years back with the intention of building it up, but that never happened. Here is the pic from the advert when I bought it

Its definitely bigger than your existing frame. If you are interested, I can measure it. One thing to note is the seat-post clamp is rusted (seen in pic), but a good mechanic could remove it.

I'm not really interested in selling it, but it just matches your existing frame, so it seems like a good match.

Thanks, I presume your Cork based though?
    If you are interested in selling that Dawes Galaxy frame just let me know, I would be interested.

Presume your talking about the MH_Corks larger frame?
    WOT wrote: »
    Frame will be 531ST, that’s where the super tourist comes from. Pretty robust setup.

Thanks, I was wondering why it would say Super Tourist when the Super Galaxies seem to have it written on the frame, I just put it down too the fact that there is about 40/50 years of Dawes Galaxies I think and the models changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Jim Murphy 69

Presume your talking about the MH_Corks larger frame?

I am indeed talking about MH_Corks frame. I had a 1994 Galaxy a long time ago and I loved it although it was just too small for me. I sold it and I am looking for one in the correct size to build up. MH_Corks frame looks the right size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I am indeed talking about MH_Corks frame. I had a 1994 Galaxy a long time ago and I loved it although it was just too small for me. I sold it and I am looking for one in the correct size to build up. MH_Corks frame looks the right size.

I measured the frame and its a 23 inch, i.e. the seat-post is 23 inch (58.5 cm) from the top to the bottom bracket. The top tube is 22 inch (56 cm).

I had intended on building this up for the direct drive turbo, so would be willing to trade for a 54/56 frame without wheels, but with handlebar, cranks and working Shimano 9/10/11 rear derauilleur and shifter (front derauilleur and shifter would be good, but not essential). Long-shot I know, but if you have an old bike lying around, then it might work for both of us.

First dibs is for Bikeswap101, since it is his thread. If he doesnt want it, then Jim Murphy 69 can make an offer.

Yes, I am based in the Republic of Cork (city) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bikeswap101

mh_cork wrote: »
    First dibs is for Bikeswap101, since it is his thread. If he doesnt want it, then Jim Murphy 69 can make an offer.

Yes, I am based in the Republic of Cork (city) :-)

Thanks but let Jim Murphy take it, it looks like the right frame but have already had to do the long distance purchasing thing with this bike so will keep looking around the Dublin region for a while :)

Good luck

Advertisement