Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZX Spectrum, Atari, Commodore Emulators for Android

Options
  • 13-06-2021 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

What do you think about idea of installing retro computer emulators on smartphones? Some old games seems to be very good for playing when having few minutes in train or bus.

Btw, let me allow to share with you my short video about emulators for Android:

*** Can three legendary computers be put in one pocket? Taken effortlessly on vacation? Used for fun on the way to school or work? Let's check it out! Amazing devices still provide great 8-bit entertainment, only now on smartphones! It's definitely worth to watch this video! ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9sj8OoK2Y

Do you think that using emulators for smartphones is a good idea? 11 votes

Yeah, it's a great idea to have my favourite computer always with me
    81% 9 votes
    It depends, sometimes it can be useful but in most cases I prefer other ways to play retro
    9% 1 vote
    No, I definitely don't like smartphone emulators
    9% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hi,

What do you think about idea of installing retro computer emulators on smartphones? Some old games seems to be very good for playing when having few minutes in train or bus.

I'm generally not a fan. That said, I was never into handheld gaming to begin with either. Touch controls are a definite no no for me, and those controller clips make the whole thing too bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭itguyinaction

True it's a bit bulky but me personally I like them for some type of games...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Tried them, cant handle the touch controls. It's a NO from me.

What I don't like that some of them require using joystick with left hand (which is not the best idea if you are right handed). But probably that's good exercise for brain...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've tried emulators on android phones and tablets. Touch controls seem to block the screen and there's no haptic feedback so u never know when u press the button properly. On tablets I think the screen is too big. The only option for me is Bluetooth controllers.
    The ideal solution is an nvidia shield.

• Advertisement

You mean https://www.x-kom.pl/p/341097-pad-nvidia-shield-controller.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwn6GGBhADEiwAruUcKrADXm87yjeIcLhPcuxjoJSFRIZXsLhMeKbMNreZO7vUJNSY7xF9pRoCfncQAvD_BwE ?

Yeah it's sony playstation style and I also really like these type of controllers. They might to look simple but someone spent a lot of time to make them really useful!

Btw, has anyone looked on the video from first post in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

Btw, has anyone looked on the video from first post in this thread?

I have it in my watch later list, will try get to it soon enough

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Not a fan. I'd rather just play emulated games (or real retro games) on a bigger screen. If I want mobile gaming I'll buy a Nintendo Switch or the like. Tried a SNES emulator on an older android phone (like 2010-2012 for dates) so I could play Shadowrun but back in the day a lot of phones could not handle multi-touch gestures which made using directional controls awkward at best.

Plus tbh I'd rather not have my head buried in my phone any more than necessary; there are enough phone zombies inhabiting the earth as it is.

• Advertisement

"Phone zombies" :P

There is sth in that, however from another perspective smartphones (or in the past palmtops) are good devices to do sth when travelling if you don't want to take heavy computer. It only depends on you how do you use them...

Advertisement