Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stobart air is gone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/all-regional-aer-lingus-flights-cancelled-as-stobart-air-ceases-trading-40530265.html

Stobart who run the regional flights has gone into liquidation.
    I wonder if that will be the end of Farranfore.

Why is that????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Maybe a naive question but

Will it not come back once things open up fully again? Demand etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Its bad news for the county, but I doubt its the end for Farranfore. They will get another airline for the Kerry/Dublin route. There are other flights that operate from there. I don't know if the Kerry/Dublin flight was as popular anymore as it used to be? I used it a lot in the early-mid '00's in my old job, and if I was going for the weekend etc, but I would say its well over 12 years since I last used that route. Hopefully they will find another airline soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Emerald Airways were taking over the AL Regional franchise from 2023...maybe that will happen earlier with this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Maybe a naive question but

Will it not come back once things open up fully again? Demand etc

It's liquidated. Gone, kaput, criochnatha.

Granted air lingus may put something in place until they can get another airline to take over the regional routes.
    Not good anyway for airport or the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

It's liquidated. Gone, kaput, criochnatha.

Granted air lingus may put something in place until they can get another airline to take over the regional routes.
    Not good anyway for airport or the region.

Not good for Ireland Inc..... and over 450 jobs gone in Stobart as . Not to mention the spin off employment they gave (pilot accommodation / Taxis / Catering etc). A

As an island - we gonna be at the mercy of Ryanair and you can be sure that he wont be doing Ireland Inc any favours. He already moving operations to Malta and its wont be long before we have NO airline based on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Masala wrote: »
    Not good for Ireland Inc..... and over 450 jobs gone in Stobart as . Not to mention the spin off employment they gave (pilot accommodation / Taxis / Catering etc). A

As an island - we gonna be at the mercy of Ryanair and you can be sure that he wont be doing Ireland Inc any favours. He already moving operations to Malta and its wont be long before we have NO airline based on the island.

What is Ireland Inc?

Reports Aer Lingus hope to have a replacement operator in place as soon as tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Reports Aer Lingus hope to have a replacement operator in place as soon as tomorrow....

Expect costs to be considerably higher though.

touts wrote: »
    Expect costs to be considerably higher though.

Why, they'll be sold through the AL website like they were yesterday. Is just the operator changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Flights are subsidised by the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

News reports now saying Aer Lingus and BA City Flyer picking up most of the dropped routes and that "frantic efforts" are underway to find replacements for Kerry and Donegal routes. Fingers crossed!

RTE news : Some Aer Lingus Regional flights to resume tomorrow

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0612/1227685-stobart-air/

Advertisement