Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Boxwood

Options
  • 12-06-2021 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, does anyone know if there is a market for mature Boxwood plants, we recently move to a new property and have inherited a lot of these measuring 3-5 feet in height?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 stupidskin

stupidskin wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if there is a market for mature Boxwood plants, we recently move to a new property and have inherited a lot of these measuring 3-5 feet in height?
    With picture

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless they're in pots; very few people will pay money for a plant that has to be dug out of the ground. also, i suspect box is less in favour today as it's being hit by box blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you sure its box and not lonicera nitida? At 5 ft they would be mature box shrubs and would not transplant well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You would need to establish them in pots if you want to sell. Otherwise transplant in the autumn. Box have huge dense roots and are difficult to dig. But they do re-establish easily enough.

If you pot them and do some shaping, maybe into a spiral, they may be more desirable.

Always disinfect tools befor cutting box and water well before and after to avoid box blight.

I personally wouldn't pay for large plants as the risk of blight is too great for the price.

They grow from cuttings so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 stupidskin

Thanks to you all, they look like boxwood to me but I am an accidental gardener :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Looks like box alright. I hope the little brown patches are the result of frost damage and not blight.

If you want to keep it you could easily trim it into shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They'd never transplant at this stage. Clip them to shape. That would make a marvellous feature.

Advertisement